In 1857 Tim and Eliza Hersey, the founders and first inhabitants of Abilene, built a stone dugout in the location where the Lebold Mansion stands today. The Hersey dugout was incorporated into the construction of the mansion's tower and is preserved as part of the foundation located at the tower's base. Tour patrons still can view the dugout when touring the home.
The Mansion has served many purposes in its 125 years of existence. In 1920 it was used by the local phone company as a boarding house for telephone operators. In 1930 it became an orphanage and finally an apartment building from 1940-1970. It has survived amazingly intact and has been under constant upkeep and restoration as a historic house museum since 1973.
Visit the Lebold Mansion Website.