The Early History of Marysville
by William G. Cutler (1883)
Marysville, the county-seat of Marshall County, and one of the oldest towns in the State, is beautifully located on the east bank of the Blue River, ten miles south of the Nebraska State Line, and on the St. Joseph and Western Railroad. At this point the old California or Central Overland route to the mountains and the Pacific coast crossed the Blue. Adjoining the town on the east are beautiful, grand-rising hills and gentle slopes, which are dotted with fine private residences and shady groves. Bounded by Spring Creek on the south and the clear running waters of the Blue on the west, with their heavy belts of timber, it forms a most desirable location for a city. Located as it is on the famous Blue, and surrounded by a rich agricultural country, settled by a good class of citizens, Marysville can well boast of its superior advantages. Possessing two railroads -- St. Joe and Western and the Marysville and Blue Valley Branch of the Union Pacific, making connections with the B. & M. R. R., at Beatrice, Nebraska, it has good shipping facilities.
In 1849, F. J. Marshall, of Weston, Missouri, established a ferry on the Big Blue River, about nine miles below the present town site of Marysville. This crossing was named "Independence ford," from the trail that led from Independence, Missouri, which was at that time the leading depot of the fur trade. In 1850, the Government opened the military road from Fort Leavenworth, crossing the river at what was afterwards known as Palmetto or Marysville. Seeing that a great portion of the California emigrants were using this route, Marshall moved his ferry, establishing it about one hundred yards below where the bridge is now located, and built a few log cabins, opening a general store and started a blacksmith shop about the same distance above the bridge.
The next settler, James McCloskey, an Indian trader, in company with other traders, located near Marshall in November 1855. The other members of the company soon after settled on the Vermillion, leaving McCloskey and his family on a claim which he had pre-empted a short distance south of Marysville.
The Palmetto Colony
In the spring of 1856, the Palmetto Town Company was organized in Atchison with eighty-four members, composed of Southern men with Southern propensities. They were mostly young men who had come into the Territory chiefly for political reasons and in the interests of the Pro-slavery party. On account of various reasons, only about thirty-five members of the colony left Atchison, and arrived at Palmetto July 8, 1856, among whom may be mentioned J. S. Magill, J. P. Miller, O. D. Prentis, Albert Morrall, W. B. Jenkins, J. R. Allston, John Vanderhorst, A. S. Vaught, Robert Y. Shibley. Of the whole number of men composing the colony, only three or four remain in the State and only two in the county -- J. S. Magill and Robert Shibley, who still reside in Marysville.
The colony filed upon and laid out a town site of three hundred and twenty acres, adjacent to a town site previously laid off and entered as a pre-emption claim by Marshall or his agent. The colony named the town in honor of the "Palmetto" State, and entered it as such at the Land Office September 25, 1858.
The progress of Palmetto was slow, none of the members seeming to care whether a town was made or not. One instance may be mentioned, of the erection of a log cabin during the summer of 1856, by Dr. J. P. Miller -- this being about the only town improvement made by the colony. Some of the members, more progressive than the rest, made improvements on their per-emption claims, but most of the time was spent "otherwise."
For some time the town name of "Palmetto" was used by some of the early county officials when dating their official proceedings. In the early maps of Kansas, the name Palmetto appeared, but Marysville was left out, although Marysville was the name of the postoffice and the established seat of justice for Marshall County.
The Marysville Colony
Previous to the location of this colony, Francis J. Marshall, while a member of the first Kansas Legislature, in 1855, had a county laid off with the Blue running through the center, and also had the county seat established at his ferry and named the place Marysville, in honor of his wife, Mary.
The Marysville Town Company originated in Western Missouri, John and James Doniphan and F. Marshall being the prime movers. The company was incorporated by an act of the Territorial Legislature, August 27, 1855, the following being the corporators: A. G. Woodward, David Galispie, John Doniphan, R. T. Galispie, F. J. Marshall, James Doniphan, Robert C. Bishop and M. G. Shrewsbury. They bought up one hundred shares of the "Palmetto" stock, and caused an addition of three hundred and twenty acres to be laid off on the north half of Section 33, Township 2, Range 7. The northwest quarter known as "Ballard and Morrall's addition to Palmetto."
At this time, 1857-58, these two little antagonistic towns had a pretty rough class of citizens, and being outside civilization generally, the pop of the revolver and the clank of pure steel were familiar sounds, and in the absence of civil tribunals, anarchy reigned supreme. Marshall bringing diplomacy to bear, soon succeeded in making Marysville the leading trading point, and in a few years Palmetto was forgotten.
When Marshall established his ferry at Marysville in 1850, he did not give up his place at the old Independence crossing, but continued to run a ferry at that point up to 1853, the travel being divided for some years between the two points. No person, unless an eye-witness, can have any conception of the scenes and incidents that were to be witnessed at those ferries at that time. At the ferry at Marysville teams would gather by the hundred waiting their turn to cross, and some becoming impatient would ford the stream, but at considerable risk.
The capacity of his ferry was such that Marshall could only take three wagons at a trip, for which he charged $5 per wagon. At a session of the County Board in June 1856, the Commissioners fixed the rates of ferriage as follows: For crossing a loaded wagon, $3; and empty wagon, $1.50; man and horse, 50 cents; footman, 25 cents, and all stock at 25 cents per head. In 1859, a still more visible decrease was made by order of the Board, bringing the rates down to $1 for crossing a six horse wagon and other vehicles in like proportion. This ferry was in active operation until the bridge was built in 1864.
The following notice was published in the Squatter Sovereign (Atchison) March 25, 1856:
MARYSVILLE, KANSAS TERRITORY.
"I hold in my hand an obligation upon the Marysville Town Company obligating the company to donate to the first person that will put up a steam saw-mill in said town seven shares in the town, which are worth in value each $200. The putting up of the mill in the town will make them worth $250 each, making the donation $1,750, which will very nearly pay for the mill. Marysville is in the best location in Kansas for a steam saw-mill, from the fact that it is located immediately on Big Blue River, where the timber can be rafted to the mill, and the lumber rafted below to supply the great Kansas River Valley. So you bring on your mill, set it to running, and I will give you the stock.
(Signed) "F. J. Marshall."
The above liberal inducement was accepted by Messrs. Shibley & Quarles, who erected a steam saw mill in the spring of 1857, and operated it until 1861, when it was destroyed.
Among the first business enterprises and professions that were established in Marysville at an early date may be mentioned: Dr. John P. Miller, who also built the first house on the Palmetto town site, located as the first disciple of Esculapius, and he soon had a good practice in surgery. He remained in the practice of his profession until 1862, when he died. J. S. Magill was the first one to represent the legal profession, and was a member of the Palmetto colony. F. J. Marshall opened the first store long before the town site was surveyed, and sold as the chief commodity whisky, at 18 cents per gallon.
The first hotel was opened for the accommodation of the public was built in 1859 by A. G. Barrett. No regular drug store was established until 1859 -- the physicians keeping their own stock of drugs. In 1859 Ballard & Morrall, of the town company, opened a drug store. Fleming & Wisner succeeded them in 1863; O. C. Hall succeeded them in 1864, but shortly after moved to Frankfort. In July 1865, A. Cottrell opened a stock of drugs in a small building on the present site of Waterson's block, and in 1870 moved to his present location.
The first marriage ceremony taking place in Marysville was that of James McCloskey and Monlewaka, a Sioux belle, who McCloskey had brought with him from the mountains. The marriage ceremony, which was the third on record in the county, was solemnized by James S. Magill, Justice of the Peace, October 28, 1857. Hettie A., a daughter of J. S. Magill, was born August 2, 1860 -- this probably being the first birth. The first death was that of W. Vaught, a member of the Palmetto colony, in the spring of 1858.
November 30, 1863, a preliminary meeting was held at the court house by citizens of Marysville and vicinity, for the purpose of organizing a bridge company, to build a bridge across the Blue. The capital stock was fixed at $8,000, or 320 shares at $25 each. On December 23, books were opened for stock subscriptions. In April, 1864, the following officers were elected: President, J. Samuels; Treasurer, A. E. Lovell; Secretary, J. D. Brumbaugh; Directors, T. W. Waterson, J. S. Magill; Architect, S. G. Jones. The bridge was of the Howe Truss patent, and was completed in November, 1864. This bridge served its purpose until the spring of 1882, when it was replaced by an iron structure by Marysville Township.
Criminal. -- October 3, 1863, an attempt was made by G. and W. Reedy and William Schroyer on the life of P. Hutchinson, now a resident of Marysville, and formerly Captain of Company E, Thirteenth Kansas. The attempt failed, but nearly cost the lift of J. Heasly, who interfered in behalf of Hutchinson. No attempts were made for the apprehension of the party until October 26, when G. Reedy was brought before the grand jury, and two bills of indictment were brought against him. On the first, by introducing false testimony, it is claimed, he was cleared. On the second indictment, for "assault with intent to kill J. Heasly," he was sentenced to the State Penitentiary for one year, and was taken to the county jail.
Reedy, who was a member of the Thirteenth Kansas at the time, was home on a furlough. A few days after the trial, Company B, Ninth Kansas, passed through the town en route to Fort Leavenworth. Learning that a comrade was confined in the jail, a party of them, numbering about twenty, came back that night from their camp, a few miles distant, and going to the jail, demanded the release of the prisoner. It being refused by the Sheriff, they drew their weapons and swore they would blow out his brains. One of the guards, fearing they would carry out their threat, delivered up the keys of the jail, and the prisoner was released.
Perhaps one of the most brutal and uncalled-for murders, in the history of Marysville, occurred October 8, 1864. During the afternoon of the above mentioned day a political meeting had been held, and in the evening the festivities were to conclude with a ball. During its progress, when all were enjoying themselves, S. J. Goisney, who had during the day made several attempts to create a disturbance, tried to force his entrance into the ballroom, with the purpose of stopping the dance.
He was stopped at the door by a constable, and a scuffle ensued, during which Goisney drew his revolver. During the melee Patrick Cassey, a highly-esteemed citizen of the place, interfering in the interest of peace, was shot by Goisney and instantly killed. In the sequel of this affair Judge Lynch officiated with his usual promptness. Goisney was confined in the jail immediately after the shooting, but during the night a party of unknown citizens took the prisoner away. Next morning, suspended from the limb of a tall oak on Spring Creek, was found, swinging to and fro, the body of the murderer -- Goisney.
Some time in 1863-64 the trial of an Indian occurred in Marysville -- it being the first of its kind in the county. The trial was held before R. S. Newell, Justice of the Peace, upon a writ of habeas corpus issued by him in case of the State vs Medicine Horse, an Otoe chief, who had been charged with being an accessory of Moses Betine for the shooting of V. C. Poor at Oketo. As he was arrested on suspicion, and not charge being found against him, he was released, and showed his gratitude by extravagant gestures and incomprehensible language.
Marysville was incorporated as a city, by and Act of the Territorial Legislature, in February, 1861. The bill prescribing the officers and their powers was vetoed by the Governor, but passed over his veto by a two-thirds vote, thus becoming a law. All who trespassed on the dignity of the law were tried before the Mayor -- his jurisdiction embracing the city of Marysville and Marysville Township.
Under an Act of the State Legislature, it was incorporated as a city of the third class in 1871, and has since maintained a city government in accordance with that act. The following is the official roster of the city:
Mayor. -- 1872-3, T. W. Waterson; 1874, Cal. T. Mann; 1875, Cal. T. Mann; 1876, F. F. Thompson; 1877, Amos Garrett; 1878, C. F. Koester; 1879, T. W. Waterson; 1880, T. W. Waterson; 1881, C. F. Koester; 1882, C. F. Koester.
Councilmen. -- 1872, A. Garrett, P. A. Kalleborn, M. Bendel, T. McCoy, W. Hewitt; 1873, H. S. Clark, A. Campbell, A. Garrett, F. Schmidt, A. G. Edwards; 1874, A. Garrett, A. Campbell, A. G. Edwards, H. S. Clark, F. Schmidt; 1875, A. G. Edwards, H. S. Clark, A. Garrett, A. Campbell, F. F. Thompson; 1876, H. S. Clark, A. Garrett, T. Hughes, A. G. Edwards, John Jeorg; 1877, H. S. Clark, C. F. Koester, A. Hohn, M. Barlow, A. G. Edwards; 1878, A. G. Edwards, W. Lofinck, P. A. Kalleborn, F. F. Thompson, W. P. Tinkham; 1879, F. F. Thompson, H. Dryer, G. T. Smith, M. Barlow, A. Armand; 1880, T. Hughes, C. T. Mann, H. S. Clark, F. F. Thompson, G. Ranksch; 1881, J. Brown, G. H. Willis, J. B. Logan, G. Reber, W. Becker; 1882, J. B. Logan, J. Brown, G. Reber, J. Grauer, M. Barlow.
Police Judge. -- 1872, James Doniphan; 1873, James Doniphan; 1874, J. S. Magill; 1875, J. S. Magill; 1876, J. S. Magill; 1877, J. S. Magill; 1878, J. S. Magill; 1879, R. White; 1880, R. White; 1881, R. White; 1882, R. White.
Schools, Churches, and Societies
One of the earliest schools opened in Marysville was a select school, taught by Miss Jennie Robb, in the fall of 1859. School was held in a small frame building located near the present site of the Sullivan House. Select schools were taught by Miss Kate Weber and others until 1861, when School District N. 4 was legally organized. A small frame school building was erected by the school district, at a cost of $700. R. S. Newell and R. O. Robbins were among the first teachers.
In 1866, the frame building proving inadequate, a new building was erected on a commanding elevation in the northern part of the city. The second building is constructed of magnesia limestone, and was built at a cost of $8,000. The main building is 35x50 feet, with two additional wings, giving it four large rooms. The first teachers in this building were the Rev. W. G. Williams, a graduate of Amherst, as principal, and Miss Kate Weber, assistant.
In 1890, Marysville had progressed so far in the advancement of her educational interests, that it was found necessary to erect another building. The new structure was accordingly erected on the same block, in close proximity to the other. The building is a brick structure, 40x70 feet, trimmed with white limestone, and costs $10,000. Marysville is to be congratulated on its educational interests, and its handsome school edifices, that reflect credit on the city.
In the earlier years of the settlement of Marysville, the population was in some measure of a transitory nature, and society was so much subject to the influences incident to a constant tide of emigration and travel through the place, that churches did not thrive to any great extent, although when services were held the attendance was good.
In the absence of records, tradition states that the first religious services in Marysville were held in the summer of 1857, in a saloon! The first sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Millice, of the Methodist Church, South. In 1859, Rev. Mr. Robbins, of the same denomination, held services in Ballard & Morrall's drug store. In the summer of 1860, Rev. Messrs. King and Duncan, of the Methodist Church, South, commenced a revival in the Barrett House, now known as the Tremont House. The preachers in those days were masters of that peculiar style of rhetoric which won its way into the hearts of their audiences. In this case, the revival was in progress for two weeks, day and night, and as a result of the labor, an organization was perfected. The church thus organized had no regular pastors, but supplied by "circuit riders" until the beginning of the Rebellion, when the organization disbanded.
Methodist Episcopal -- An organization of the Methodist Church North was perfected in 1866, by Rev. Mr. Woodburn, of Manhattan, with five members, among whom were Mrs. L. J. Swearingen and L. Keefover and wife. Meetings were held in the old court house, also in the old frame school building. Among the early preachers were Rev. Messrs, Tenrent, Tenney and Taylor. Meetings were held irregularly in different parts of the town until April 1879, when a brick church edifice, 30x50 feet, was erected, at a cost of $2,000. This building was erected mainly through the efforts of Rev. A. J. Coe, their pastor. Mr. Coe was succeeded by Rev. A. C. Murray, the present incumbent.
Episcopal. -- A partial organization of the Episcopal Church was formed in June, 1882, by the present incumbent, Rev. George Turner, rector.
Memorial Presbyterian Church. -- Early in the fall of 1862, religious services were held in the old school house which stood on the west side of Seventh street, by the Rev. Charles Parker, who was also known throughout the State as the eloquent "blind preacher." Services were held on alternate Sabbaths until 1865. For a period of four years no regular services were held; but from 1969 until the spring of 1871, regular services were resumed.
In accordance with an earnest desire on the part of several, a Presbyterian organization was perfected on the 16th of October, 1870, by the Rev. Mr. Parker, to be known as the "Memorial Presbyterian Church of Marysville, " with the following members: Mrs. A. Parker, C. Pritchard, E. Hutchinson, P. A. Reed, Mrs. E. Morrill, Mrs. A. S. Fisher, P. A. Reed and E. Hutchinson were elected and ordained as the first elders.
Preliminary steps were taken toward the erection of a church edifice in 1870 or 1871, in the form of a subscription paper, which was liberally endorsed by the citizens of the place. The contract was let for the erection of a brick structure April 10, 1872, for the sum of $4,000. The corner-stone was laid June 8, of the same year, under the supervision of the Masonic and Odd Fellows' societies, and was dedicated September 18, 1874. The edifice has since met with some mishaps that have rendered repairs necessary, bringing the total cost up to $6,000. The following-named pastors have served the organization in the order mentioned; Revs. C. Parker, A. H. Lilly, E. C. Fish, E. E. Sheldon, J. A. Griffes, and F. E. Thompson. No regular pastor at present.
The German Evangelical Church was organized in 1868 by Rev. A. Bathe, with a good membership. Services were held in a frame building until 1876, when the present edifice was dedicated. The corner-stone was placed in position in 1874, and a stone structure erected, 35x50 feet, at a cost of $3,000. Rev. Bathe was succeeded in 1870 by Rev. W. Gogel, who in turn was succeeded by Rev. C. Haas in 1872. Rev. H. Barkmann, the present incumbent, took charge of the church in July, 1876. Congregation now numbers about forty families.
The German Evangelical Church at Stolzenbach was organized in 1870, by Rev. A. Bathe. Meetings are held in the Merklinghaus school house. Present membership, about twenty-two families. Since 1870, the church has been in charge of pastors named in above sketch. These are the only two organizations of this kind in the country.
Catholic Church. -- The first religious services held in Marysville by the Catholic denomination were presided over by Rev. Father Suitberl de Martean, some time in 1870. A church organization was perfected soon after, and the foundation laid for an edifice, under the supervision of Rev. A. Weikman. The construction of the building progressed slowly, and in 1876, when Rev. John Pichler took charge of the organization, it was still uncompleted. In 1879, the building and lots were sold, and another site chosen. Anew building, 24x40 feet, was erected. The congregation has a present membership of about sixty families, or three hundred souls, Rev. John Pichler being the present incumbent.
Marysville Lodge N. 91, A. F. & A. M., was instituted under dispensation, March 26, 1870. A charter was granted, October 20, 1870, with the following charter members: P. H. Peters, P. Hutchinson, A. Jester, T. McCoy, J. S. Magill, E. Bentley, D. Wolff, J. M. Carter, J. Balderson, J. Samuels. The first officers were; P. H. Peters, W. M.; P. Hutchinson, S. W. ; A. Samuels, J. W.; A. G. Edwards, Treas. ; J. S. Magill, Sec'y.
Present officers: C. F. Koester, W. M.; F. F. Thompson, S. W.; C. T. Mann, J. W.; H. S. Clark, Treas.; J. M. Patterson, Sec'y. Present membership, forty-six. Meetings are held on every second and fourth Saturday evenings of each month in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall.
Marysville Chapter, No. 29, R. A. M., was instituted under dispensation, July 6, 1875. A charter was granted, October 20, 1875, with seventeen charter members. The first officers were: W. P. Mudgett, H. P.; N. P. Hotchkiss, K.; F. L. Dow, S.; L. F. Dow, Treas. ; C. F. Koester, Sec'y.
Present officers: E. Hutchinson, H. P.; C. T. Man, K.; D. G. Millett, S.; C. F. Koester, Treas.; W. B. Seaman, Sec'y. Present membership, thirty-five. Meetings are held in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall, second Tuesday of each month.
Otoe Lodge, No. 85, I. O. O. F., was instituted under dispensation, February 14, 1872. A charter was granted, October 8, 1872, with the following charter members: W. H. Richardson, James Doniphan, I. Donahoe, F. F Thompson, G. D. Swearingen, J. S. Magill. The first officers were: J. Doniphan, J. G.; W. H. Richardson, V. G.; J. A. Broughton, R. S.; P. H. Peters, P. S.; G. D. Swearingen, Treas.
Present officers; E. Drahein, N. G.; W. Becker, V. G.; M. S. Stackleford, R. S.; J. B. Logan, P. S.; F. J. Pierce, Treas. Present membership, thirty-six. Meetings are held every Wednesday evening in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall.
Blue Valley Lodge, No. 1347, K. of H., was instituted under dispensation, January 23, 1879. A charter was granted, September 29, 1879, with twenty-three charter members. The first officers were: C. T. Mann, P. D.; G. H. Willis, D.; E. Hutchinson, V. D.; T. Hughes, Chap.; L. W. Libby, R.; H. S. Clark, Treas.
Present officers; L. W. Libby, D.; J. Merklinghaus, P. D.; J. Billmann, V. D.; J. B. Logan, R.; E. Hutchinson, F. R.; H. S. Clark, Treas.; F. L. Dow, Chap. Present membership, thirty-seven. Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday evenings of each month in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall.
Marysville Lodge, No. 59, A. O. U. W., was instituted under a charter granted September 15, 1880, with sixteen charter members. The first officers were: A. E. Parks, P. M. W.; J. B. Logan, M. W. ; J. Brown, F.; C. W. Thompson, O.; W. S. Glass, R.; W. B. Seamon, F. R.; C. H. Goelitzer, R. T.
Present officers: H. E. Wiedemeyer, N. W.; M. S. Shepard, P. W. W.; S. Foster, F.; H. F. Meyer, O.; J. B. Logan, E.; J. F. Renow, F. R.; F. G. Drahein, R. T. Present membership, thirty-five. Meetings are held every Friday evening, in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall.
Marshall Legion, N. 13, S. K. of A. O. U. W., was organized under dispensation, March, 1882. A charter was granted, May 8, 1882, with fifteen charter members. The first and present officers are: J. B. Logan, S. S.; W. Becker, V. C.; A. Ariand, L. C.; H. P. Alexander, R.; A. G. Drahein, T.; C. H. Goelitzer, R. T. Present membership, twenty-six. Meetings are held on every first and third Monday evenings, in Masonic and Odd Fellows' Hall.
Marysville Turnverein was organized in August, 1875, and incorporated under the laws of the State in May, 1876, with the following members: A. Hohn, Charles Rohdt, N. Kalmborn, M. Bendel, P. A. Kalmborn, J. Kempf, R. Boehme, R. B. Werner, J. Knoni, E. E. Dorfner, F. Weber, M. Peil, F. W. Moelin. First officers were: P. A. Kalmborn, President; A. Hohn, Vice-president; R. Werner, Secretary.
In 1880, the society erected a brick structure, 42x80 feet, with a tower 16x16, and 54 feet high, at a cost of $7,000. This building has a seating capacity of between 400 and 500, and presenting a fine appearance, is a credit to the city. The society has a membership of fifty, and is in a flourishing condition under its present officers: A. Hohn, President; Charles Goelitzer, Vice-president; E. Lewke, Secretary; J. Grauer, Cashier.
Lyon Post Silver Cornet Band was organized under the leadership of Prof. H. Barks, in January, 1880, with sixteen members. A set of instruments was purchased at a nominal sum, and meetings held in Masonic Hall. In July, 1882, they purchased a new set of instruments of the celebrated maker -- Wurlitzer. Their last officers were; H. Barks, Leader; O. Hale, President; H. Hager, Secretary; N. Carden, Treasurer.
In the fall of 1880, the band took the second prize in a band contest, in which many of the best bands in Northwestern Kansas participated. In connection with the band, and orchestra of eleven pieces was organized, with C. F. Barks as first violin, in February, 1881. The society at present is in a prosperous condition, and is a credit to the place.
Marysville Cemetery Association was incorporated with a capital stock of $2,000, in September, 1878, by W. H. Smith, P. Hutchinson, f. Linn, G. F. Hamilton, James S. Magill, T. Hughes, J. A. Griffes, D. P. Clark, E. Hutchinson, L. W. Libby. At the first regular meeting the following officers were elected: P. Hutchinson, President; C. T. Mann, Secretary; W. H. Smith, Treasurer. Directors: P. Hutchinson, L. W. Libby, W. H. Smith, E. Hutchinson, T. Hughes.
In October, of the same year, a tract of forty acres adjacent to the city was purchased and $15,000 have been spent on improvements. Present officers: E. Hutchinson, President; J. B. Winkler, Treasurer; Cal. T. Mann, Secretary. Directors: W. H. Smith, J. B. Winkler, P. Hutchinson, W. Lofinck, E. Hutchinson. The association is in a prosperous condition.
Newspapers, Banks and Hotels
The Palmetto Kansan, the first paper printed in the county, was established December 18, 1857, at Marysville. The material of the establishment was formerly employed in the publication of the Lecompton Union, and the office was owned by the "Palmetto Town Company." composed of F. J. Marshall, J. S. Magill and others. J. E. Clardy was employed as editor and publisher. The paper was a Democratic Pro-slavery organ. Mr. Clardy continued its publication for seven months, when the paper was suspended. In 1858, an effort was made to resuscitate it, under the name Marysville Democrat, by a Mr. Childers, but the effort was short lived.
The Democrat Platform was first issued at Marysville in the early part of 1859, by P. H. Peters and R. S. Newell, and in December of that year E. C. Manning became one of its proprietors. In May following Mr. Manning obtained the entire control of the paper, changing its politics to Republican, but retaining its original name. July 31, 1860, the building in which the paper was printed was entirely destroyed and the material scattered by a violent tornado. In the fall of the same year Peters gathered the fragments together and resumed the publication of the Platform, continuing it until the breaking out of the war in 1861.
The Big Blue Union was founded upon the ruins of the defunct Platform, in 1861, by G. D. Swearingen. It was a Republican paper, and was continued by Mr. Swearingen until August, 1863, when it was purchased by E. C. Manning, who had returned from the army. He conducted the Union until December, 1865, when the publication was suspended, and in January, 1866, he removed the material to Manhattan.
In July or August, 1862, P. H. Peters purchased the press and fixtures of the Palermo Ledger, removed them to Marysville and established the Constitutional Gazetteer. The office was destroyed by a squad of Union soldiers soon after and the proprietor lodged in the guard-house at Fort Leavenworth, but was released two days after.
In 1864, the Enterprise was started at Marysville, by T. W. Baker, P. H. Peters and J. S. Magill. It was independent in politics with strong Democratic feelings. The paper continued under these auspices until the summer of 1867, when Peters became sole proprietor, and the Enterprise was changed to a Republican paper. It continued until some time in 1868, when it was sold to George C. Crowther, who removed the establishment to Irving.
In the fall of 1869, the Locomotive was started at Marysville by the irrepressible Peters who continued it until some time in 1870, when he sold out to Thomas Hughes, who changed its name to the Marshall County News, and conducted it as a Republican journal. Mr. Hughes remained sole proprietor until January 1, 1881, when he sold his interest to C. E. Tibbetts and George T. Smith, who conducted the paper until January 2, 1882, when Mr. Tibbetts retired leaving F. T. Smith, its present owner, as sole proprietor. The News is an eight-column folio, Republican in politics, and devotes itself to the best interest of the county.
September 1, 1881, the first number of the Marysville Signal was issued by A. E. Powers, formerly connected with the Villisca, Iowa, Review. The Signal is a six-column quarto, independent Republican in politics, and by its able editorials, and strict attention to home interests, has secured a large circulation.
The first number of the Marysville Post was issued on July 23, 1881, by the Marysville Post Company, William Becker, editor, a weekly periodical eight-column folio, printed in the German language, and is the only one of the kind published in northwestern Kansas.
Postoffice. -- The Postoffice at Marysville can trace its origin back to the time when this Western country was first opened for settlement -- in Territorial days. November 11, 1854, the office was established, Francis J. Marshall being appointed Postmaster. The subsequent appointments have been: Peter Valiton, March 12, 1858; John W. Childross, November 8, 1858; Jacob S. Goble, May 24, 1859; Russell J. Jewell, February 16, 1860; Edwin C. Manning, April 25, 1861; Jacob Weibach, November 21, 1861; Thomas W. Waterson, April 13, 1864; Alexander Campbell, July 5, 1865; Charles H. Heighton, March 26, 1868; Alexander Campbell, October 19, 1868; William H. Smith, the present incumbent, received his appointment February 27, 1871.
Apropos: the oldest post office in the State is Fort Leavenworth, which was established May 29, 1828, under the name of Cantonment, in what was then known as La Platte county, Mo. The next postoffice established in what is now known as Kansas was at Fort Scott, then in Bates County, Mo., on March 3, 1843. Following that came the establishment of the postoffice in Marysville, in 1854. Hence it may be stated that Marysville can claim the honor of having the first postoffice in the State of Kansas, which cannot be disputed, as above data is compiled from official records. Postoffice Money Order N. 1, was issued August 6, 1866, and was purchased by G. W. Transue.
The Exchange Bank, the oldest banking institution in the county, was established at Marysville in March, 1870, by Schmidt & Koester, who for ten years previous, were engaging in an extensive mercantile business in the place. Its facilities for doing a general banking business are unsurpassed, having correspondents in the principle Eastern cities. The bank is now located in its new quarters -- in Schmidt's new building, one of the finest business blocks in the West. The banking-room has an area of 589 feet and its appointments are in accordance with institutions of a similar kind in Eastern cities. Furnished with private offices and vaults, and using the Yale time-lock, it is one of the best equipped banks in the State.
The Marshall County Bank, was incorporated under the laws of the State October 8, 1880, with a cash capital of $50,000. Its first officers were B. L. Harding, President; C. C. Southerland, Cashier; G. P. Millis, Assistant Cashier; Directors; Perry Hutchinson, Aug. Hohn, B. L. Harding, H. Stenis, C. C. Southerland. December 1, 1881, C. C. Southerland resigned his position as cashier and was succeeded by H. G Burrogs.
August 1, 1882, under a new management, the bank was operated by the following officers: M. S. Smalley, President; P. Hutchinson, Vice-president; E. R. Fulton, Cashier. Directors: A. Hohn, H. G. Burrogs, P. Hutchinson, M. S. Smalley, E. R. Fulton. Supplied with the Sargent & Greenleaf time-lock, and other banking facilities, it is making the reputation of a first-class banking institution.
The first established hotel in Marysville was in a building erected for that purpose in 1859, by A. G. Barrett. The building was constructed of rough native lumber, and cost about $4,000. This building, in 1861, was leased to Perry Hutchinson, who ran it a season, when it was purchased by Joseph Cottrell, who operated it under the name of "Tremont House," until 1873, since which time it has been under the management of different parties.
The Sherman House, was opened in 1870, in a frame building 16x24 feet, by G. D. Swearingen. In 1875, an addition, three stories, 30x40 feet, was added at an expense of $7,000. In 1880, Mr. Swearingen leased the building to R. R. Kelley, its present manager.
Excelsior Roller Mills. -- One of the industries of Marysville and of Marshall County are the mammoth flowering mills of Perry Hutchinson. In 1864, Mr. Hutchinson built on the east side of the Blue River, opposite the present mill, a two and one-half story frame building, 22x60 feet. The first floor he occupied as a saw-mill, and in the second story he placed two run of burrs, with which he did "custom work." This combination mill was operated by him until 1867, when, on the west bank of the river, he erected a three-story stone structure, 40x80 feet. In the construction of this building 1,100 perch of stone were used, and when completed employed five run of burrs, with a capacity of one hundred barrels of flower per day.
This mill, as well as the first one, was run by water-power furnished by the Blue River. In order to furnish the new mill with sufficient power Mr. Hutchinson was obliged to construct a tunnel which, at that time was one of the greatest undertakings in the West. This tunnel forms a semi-circle under the bank, and the mill stands directly over the shaft. The reservoir, from the mouth of the shaft, is ninety feet long, twenty-four feet wide, and eight feet high, and is capable of containing a body of water the weight of which is equal to a pressure of one hundred tons. The tunnel itself, including a canal at its inlet and outlet, is 435 feet in length, 185 feet of which are cut through solid rock.
In the summer of 1882, the entire mill was re-modeled and enlarged at an expense of $40,000. Seventeen pairs of Stevens' improved rollers, manufactured at Buffalo, N. Y., were put in operation, which gives the mill a capacity of 250 barrels of flour every twenty-four hours.
In 1878, a switch was built from the main line of the Saint Joe & Western railway -- a distance of 6,000 feet -- to his mill, and cars are loaded and unloaded at the mill. The flour manufactured by these mills is of a superior brand, and is shipped in large quantities to Europe.
Cigars. -- The manufacture of cigars is carried on extensively in Marshall County, in which there are four factories. Of the three located at Marysville, the factory of Charles F. Pusch is the oldest and largest. In 1879, the factory of Charles E. Bendel was established, and has been in active operation up to date. Henry Weidermeyer, of the firm of Bendel & Weidermeyer, opened the third factory in May, 1882.
Brick -- The manufacture of brick first commenced in 1869-70, by Thomas Cooper, who established a brick-yard, with a capacity of 300,000 per season, in the southern part of the city, and operated it five years. In the spring of 1882, he opened a yard on the south bank of Spring Creek, and during the season manufactures 6,000 brick per day.
Other Industries. -- Marysville has an iron foundry, and a brewery, both of which were until 1882, in production.
Marysville is located at 39°50'40N, 96°38'30W. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.5 km² (3.3 mi²). 8.4 km² (3.3 mi²) of it is land and 0.31% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,271 people, 1,437 households, and 865 families residing in the city. The population density was 387.4/km² (1,004.2/mi²). There were 1,614 housing units at an average density of 191.2/km² (495.5/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.04% White, 0.15% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.49% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.73% of the population.
There were 1,437 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.8% were non-families. 36.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 23.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,250, and the median income for a family was $40,427. Males had a median income of $28,065 versus $18,063 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,196. About 5.7% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
Louis T. Hardin, a.k.a. Moondog, composer, musician and poet
Michael McClure, poet and playwright
Ralph Nelson Elliott, economist
Kendra Wecker, collegiate and professional basketball player