The first school in Louisburg was taught by Miss Olivia Martin in 1871. The first preacher was J. P. Everett. Years before there had been preaching in the settlement by Rev. A. Meant, a Southern Methodist, in 1858; by Rev. Wm. Huffman, a United Brethern minister in 1859, who held a protracted meeting; and in the same year by Rev. Garrett.
Louisburg was made a city of the third class November 3, 1882. The territory included within the city limits comprises the northeast quarter of section 31, the south half of southeast quarter of Section 30, all in Township 16 south, Range 25 east. The first city election was held November 17, 1882; 141 votes being polled. Samuel W, Moore was elected Mayor, and the following gentlemen Councilmen: M. A. Fessenden, H. A. Williams, J. B. Plitcher, D. H. Ebbert and W. H. Tawney. Peter H. Goebel was elected Treasurer; Robert A. Wright, Clerk; R. W. Sanders, Marshal and John McNilley, Police Judge.
The population of the city is about 900 now, in January, 1883; and gives promise of a rapid and healthy growth. The city now has eight brick business buildings and three church buildings- Methodist, Baptist and Christian. The Presbyterians have an organized society but at present hold services in the Methodist Church, There are four physicians-J. D. Bryan, J. B. Plitcher, E. W. Riley and D. W. Hayes.
Louisburg Council, No 3, R. T. of T., a Temperance insurance organization, was established February 15, 1882. the first officers were, H. L. Phillips, select councilor; Vice Councilor, Nettie Bryan; Past Councilor, L. T. Brown; Secretary, R. A. Wright. The present officers are the same except the secretary, that officer now being Mrs. Sue A. Phillips. the Council is working successfully with a membership of eighteen.
Louisburg Lodge, No. 180, A. F. & A. M. was chartered October 16, 1879. First master was R. H. Hyatt. The lodge is in good healthy, working condition, with a membership of thirty five. Peter Goebel is the present master, E. P. Short, secretary. The lodge meets on the first and third Friday of each month.
Louisburg at present contains four general stores, three drug stores, three groceries, two hardware stores, two harness shops, two shoe shops, one lumber yard, one bank, two blacksmith shops, two agricultural implement dealers, one grain dealer, one furniture store, two hotels, one fine two -story brick schoolhouse, 36x72 feet, erected in the fall of 1882 at a cost of $6000, 272 scholars, and a population of about 900. It is a lively business town, one of the best shipping points in the county. The estimated shipments for 1882 are 175 cars of flax, 250 cars of grain and 200 cars of cattle.
The Louisville and Miami Herald This is a weekly newspaper, edited and published by Emanuel F. Heisler. It was established by him July 4, 1876. It is an eight column folio, patent inside, Greenback in politics and has a circulation of 1,000 copies weekly.
Wea Postoffice was established October 8, 1873, and is located at the southwest corner of Section 29, Township 15, Range 25. Joseph Vohs was the first postmaster. He served until April, 1876, when Eugene Vohs, the present encumbent was appointed. A general store was started at this place in 1872 by Honor Mayer, who conducted business until March, 1876, when he sold out to Eugene Vohs, the present proprietor.
A Catholic Church, called the Holy Rosary Church, was build just south and east of the postoffice, in 1869. It was a frame building, costing $3,500. Rev. Father Fabre held the first services in the new church., Father Meyer, from Eudora, was the regular pastor. The congregation is composed of sixty-two families, about 350 members. Rev. John Rideker was appointed to this charge, November 16, 1880 and remains the pastor.
The first actual settler in Township 15, Range 25, was George Wickline, now deceased, who settled in 1857, on Section 30. Anthony Vohs was the second on the same section in 1859. During this year William Schwartz settled on the same section and Jacob Schwartz came in 1860. Joseph Vohs came in 1863. This settlement is one of the healthiest in Miami County.
Louisburg is located at 38°37'11N, 94°40'45W (38.619751, -94.679050). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.9 km² (3.4 mi²). 8.6 km² (3.3 mi²) of it is land and 0.2 km² (0.1 mi²) of it (2.63%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,576 people, 946 households, and 687 families residing in the city. The population density was 299.6/km² (775.1/mi²). There were 1,026 housing units at an average density of 119.3/km² (308.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.21% White, 0.31% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.05% of the population.
There were 946 households out of which 40.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 23.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 31.7% from 25 to 44, 18.4% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $46,500, and the median income for a family was $51,729. Males had a median income of $33,783 versus $29,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,560. About 2.8% of families and 3.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.3% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.