C. V. Eskridge was appointed agent of the company, for the sale of its property and to look after its general business interests. John Hammond erected the first building upon the town site, a one and a half story wooden structure, 12X16 feet, occupied as a boarding-house. When Mr. Hammond first came to Emporia he was alone, and as there luckily happened along T. H. Clapp and wife from New York, looking up a claim, he engaged the lady to cook for him. She was the first lady who set foot upon the town site. The hotel was generally crowded to its utmost capacity. The building was used for religious services, educational purposes, was county headquarters, broker's office - and what not. It finally outlived its usefulness, as the town grew, and was moved on to Geo. R. Bartsch's farm in Waterloo Township.
Although the Town Company's Hotel - the Emporia House - and the store of Hornsby & Fick were commenced at about the same time, the latter was completed first, and is therefore the second building erected in Emporia. C. V. Eskridge was a clerk in the store, and finally owned it. Upon the resignation of John Fowler, Postmaster of Columbia, in the fall of 1857, Mr. Fick was appointed the first Postmaster of Emporia. When the Emporia House was completed Mr. Hammond took possession of it, but after running it for a few months, resigned in favor of Mrs. Elizabeth Storrs, who therefore may be considered the first regular land-lady of Emporia. Mr. Hammond's boy, came with the family from Dayton, Ohio, then four years old, was the first child who "located" on the town site. While the News was erecting its building, the Emporia House served as its printing office, its first number being set up in an upper chamber thereof.
The fourth structure erected was the old News building, which stands in the rear of the block now occupied by that establishment. It was used, in its time, as residence, postoffice, bank, furniture factory, city hall, church, hardware store, etc., being the office of the News for fourteen years.
In the first number of the Kansas News, June 7, 1857, the following description is given of Emporia, then only Emporia is situated between the Neosho and Cottonwood creeks, six miles above their junction. To the west it gradually rises for a distance of several miles. On the north and south are large belts of the finest timber, along the Neosho and Cottonwood, while the various smaller, streams emptying into them at this point, all well timbered, serve to make it one of the best timbered regions in Kansas. Coal and building stone are found here in abundance. Emporia was located in March last.
About the first of April, the erection of a large hotel was commenced by the town company, which has just been completed. A commodious store house has just been erected and filled with goods, and another is in process of erection. A large saw and gristmill, with lath and shingle machines attached, is about being put up on the town site. Another large saw-mill is in process of construction one half a mile distant. There is at present one saw-mill in operation near the junction, six miles distant, which has furnished the lumber used in the erection of the buildings now on the town site. There is also another saw-mill eight miles above, on the Cottonwood, which is in operation.
No intoxicating drinks are allowed to be sold on the town site. The two following features we copy from the contract of the proprietors: "The parties bind themselves to each other that in every sale or donation of any portion of the land which may be selected or located for a town-site, they will sign no deed of sale, release, gift, grant or lease to the same, without a provision in such deed of sale, release, gift, grant or lease, that the lessee shall not make, store, sell or give away, to be used as a beverage, any malt or spirituous liquors on such premises so sold or conveyed away, and that any violation of such provision shall be a forfeiture of all the rights which said purchaser, donee, grantee or, tenant shall have acquired to said premises. And the said parties further agree that they will also prohibit in all deeds and conveyances, as above, and find purchasers to extend the same provisions to their assignees, that no house shall be allowed to be occupied for gambling purposes on any of the lots of the said town; and any gambling for money, or otherwise, by which anything shall be lost or won, on said premises, with the knowledge and counsel of the purchaser, shall be a forfeiture of the right which said purchaser, donee, grantee or tenant shall have acquired to said premises."
The lots are 130 feet deep and 50 feet front, excepting on commercial streets where they are but 25 feet front. The principal streets are 100 feet broad - the others eighty feet. Building is progressing as fast as the supply of lumber will admit, and as soon as the mills now being constructed are put into operation, the progress will be much greater. Several stone buildings have been contracted for, to be built this summer. The country around here is fast filling up with an energetic, industrious and intelligent population, who will develop the rich resources of this fertile region, and make it the centre of wealth and intelligence.
During all of the year 1857, settlers continued to arrive at Emporia, and building operations were brisk. Mr. Parham, a druggist from Leavenworth, and Mr. Phelps, a Michigan man, were among the new arrivals, and built a saw-mill, located just north of the present Normal School building. In the summer of this year, railroad matters, religious matters, educational topics and mail troubles, besides the actual development of business enterprises, all served to agitate the young Emporia.
The Baptists and Methodists held services in the old hotel office. The third public meeting (as elsewhere detailed) ever held in the town, was a railroad convention which assembled in June. Mail facilities were abominable, and the citizens of Emporia insisted on having a school. That the discussion had an effect is evident from the fact that Rev. G. C. Morse and lady opened the "Emporia Academy" in April, 1858, but the first free school was that taught by Miss Mary Jane Watson, in October. In December, 1859, the first school district was organized in Emporia. Its Directors were Col. F. W. Cloud, C. C. Dodge, and Ed. Borton. In 1862, C. V. Eskridge, then a member of the Legislature, secured the passage of a special act, authorizing Emporia District No. 1 to issue bonds, in the amount of $6,000, for the purpose of erecting a school building.
The bonds were issued and sold, and with the proceeds thereof a building was erected, which, at the time, was considered the finest common-school building in the State outside of Leavenworth. At the following session of the Legislature, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, seeing how successfully the measure worked, recommended that this special act be made the basis of a general law. This was done, and is now an important part of the general educational system of Kansas, which dates from that year, 1863.
Emporia continued to grow materially, as well as in religious and educational directions, and one prime cause of her prosperity was that the town company reserved a certain number of lots, from those not drawn, for donation to persons desirous of making improvements. Emporia must have a town hall commensurate with her importance, but, as events proved, not at once. Although a "Town Hall Company" was formed, with C. C. Slocum as president, in February, 1858, it is stated that enough money could not be raised to lay the foundation." In December, of this year, the town site was pre-empted and the town company gave settlers deeds for their lots.
On February 6, 1865, Emporia, which then contained a population of about 500, was granted the privilege of sloughing off her township organization and assuming the form of a village government. The trustees were: R. M. Ruggles chairmen; J. C. Fraker, John L. Catterson, William Clapp and John Hammond. In April, 1870, the first municipal election was held, at which H. C. Cross was chosen mayor of the new city of the second class. For particulars in regard to the municipal history of Emporia, the reader is referred to pages which follow, as also to the growth of her present school system, establishment of banks, and general advancement in all the lines of modern life. The M. K. & T. Rail-road reached Emporia December 22, 1860, and the A. T. & S. F. July 21, 1870.
In preceding pages an attempt has merely been made to present the most salient facts connected with the growth of Emporia - merely as a preface to the details which follow. The city is now prosperous and fair to look upon, containing costly churches, an ably conducted State Normal School, an ably conducted State Normal School, a daily press even in advance of a population of 6,000 people, banking institutions which have become noted throughout the State for their substantial and "unfailing" qualities, first-class hotels and business houses - and the particulars regarding all these topics, and many more, appear in succeeding pages.
As will be seen elsewhere, Emporia was first incorporated as a village February 6, 1865. In April, 1870, it was created, under the laws of the State, a city of the second class, and, divided into four wards. The first city officers as elected and appointed were: Mayor, H. C. Cross; Councilmen, E. Borton, L. N. Robinson, W. W. Williams, C. V. Eskridge, R. D. Thomas, C. Wheelock, F. Hirth, Geo. W. Fredericks; Police Judge. E. W. Cunningham; Clerk. H. W. McCune; Treasurer. S. B. Riggs; Engineer, - Wilson; Attorney, P. B. Plumb; Marshal, W. A. Randolph. The following named gentlemen have occupied the office of Mayor: 1870, H. C. Cross; 1871-2, William Jay; 1873, No es Spicer; 1974, J. R. Graham; 1815, John Bay; 1875;. Thomas Morrison; 1877-8, J. S. Watson; 1879-80, D. S. Gilmore; 1881-2. D. W. Eastman.
Present city officers: Mayor, D. W. Eastman; Councilmen, J. R. Walkup, J. Bay, T. H. Lewis, N. B. Ireland, J. W. Thacher, J. B. Halleck, J. A. Moore, C. P. Theis; Clerk. E M. Forde; Treasurer, H. Dunlap; Attorney. J. Jay Buck; Police Judge, J. R. Barnes; Marshal, M. Burgle; Constables, T. Johnson, L. R. Vernon.
Prior to the opening of the Holly system of water works in the city, an efficient fire department was organized and a chemical fire engine, hose, reels, etc., were purchased. The department, when occasion demands, is always on duty, and aided with an abundant supply of water, bids defiance to conflagrations.
Holly Water Works. - The first official action taken by the city In relation to a system of water works was June 12, 1879, when the feasibility of the project was discussed. October 25, 1879, a special election was ordered held for the purpose of voting $50.000 in bonds for the water works. The election was not held until November 4, 1879, when the bonds were carried by 464 for to 140 against. A special committee on location, appointed in December, 1879,reported in favor of locating on the Neosho River. The report was adopted by the Council. January 8,1880, it was decided to locate on the Cottonwood River. January 15, 1880, a final decision was made and the works located on their present location. Work on the project was Immediately commenced, and completed and opened June 17, 1880, at a cost of $66.893.17. Number of feet of main used, 62,781; number of gallons of water pumped annually. 62,000,000; estimated daily consumption, winter months, 151,200 gallons; summer months, 240,000 gallons. The city is at present well supplied with the water privilege, which is constantly increasing.
Postoffice.- Was established in the fall of 1857, H. W. Pick being appointed first Postmaster. He was succeeded by Joseph A. Fuller, who held the office until April, 1861, when he was succeeded by Jacob Stotler, In October, 1864, Mrs. E. Trask received the appointment, and was Postmistress until October 8, 1874, when Jacob Stotler, the present official in charge, resumed control. In 1876, the office was reduced from a second to a third class office but in 1877, was reinstated as an office of the second class. Since 1876, the post-office business has steadily increased. It was made a money order office on September 9, 1867,the first order being purchased by the "P. M. S;" 321 orders were issued the first year. In 1881, the total amount of cash received on money orders was $80.225.98; amount of money orders paid, $79.873.73; total of money order business, $160,109.71. The amount of post-office business transacted is an index to the general prosperity of the city.
Masonic Temple.- Prominent among the many handsome buildings in the city, is the new Masonic Temple, for which the foundations were laid in the fall of 1881. A building committee composed of C. V. Eskridge. L. D. Jacobs. F. W. Hirth, J. M. Steele and W. W. Hibben, was appointed, and $8,000 raised by issuing certificates of indebtedness on the faith of the lodges in the city, and by other means. The building, which is a three-story brick, 51x75 feet, was completed in December, 1882, and cost in the neighborhood of $25,000. The hall to be used by the Masons is located on the third floor and has an area of 1,150 square feet.
Maple Wood Cemetery. - Is located one and one-half miles northwest of the city on a commanding elevation, from which a beautiful view may be had in all directions. In 1859, this site for a cemetery was purchased by the Odd Fellows and Masons. In 1867, the Odd Fellows caused a survey of fifteen acres to be made. Since the first purchase was made, additional land has been secured, making the present site consist of forty acres. About $2,500 has been spent in improvements by the Order, and it is estimated that $20,000 has been laid out in improvements by private individuals. The grounds are now controlled by the Odd Fellows' societies of Emporia.
The Kansas News was established by Hon. P. B. Plumb, its first number being issued June 6, 1857. At this time Emporia had but three unfinished buildings. The News was one of the pioneer papers of the then Territory of Kansas, and was twelve years in advance of any other paper in Emporia. During the first season of the paper's existence there was no regular mail service to Emporia, and the making of a news-paper was a task attended with many difficulties. At the end of the first volume, Jacob Stotler bought a half interest in the paper and was associated with Mr. Plumb in its publication.
In January, 1859, Mr. Stotler became the sole editor and proprietor, and changed the name to the Emporia News. Messrs. P. B. Plumb and Dudley Randall became the owners and editors, August 1, 1859. Mr. Stotler connected himself with the paper again by purchasing the interest of Mr. Plumb. It was enlarged from a six to a seven-column paper. Becoming sole proprietor on September 1, of the same year, Mr. Stotler continued as such until October 1, 1864, when he sold to J. H., 0. J. and E. L. Hunt. In July, 1865, Mr. Stotler purchased the paper, with David S. Gilmore, and in March, 1866, Mr. Stotler became sole proprietor. He enlarged the News, continuing its publication alone until January 1, 1870, when he sold a half interest to W. W. Williams.
At this date the paper was again enlarged, and in November the firm commenced the publication of a morning daily, receiving regular telegraphic reports. It was afterwards changed to an afternoon paper. June 16, 1871, Mr. Stotler again became sole proprietor, and discontinued the daily August 8 following. Messrs. J. R Graham and E. E. Rowland purchased the Emporia Tribune May 17, 1872, and it was consolidated with the News, under the firm name.
Stotler, Rowland & Graham. In October Mr. Stotler bought his partners interests. The next change in the management was made April 1, 1875, by the purchase of half the establishment by J. R. Graham. In November, 1878, the Daily News was again started as an afternoon paper. March 1, 1880, Mr. Graham sold out to Alex. Butts and Frank P. MacLennan, who, with Mr. Stotler, continued to publish the paper under the firm name, "News Company. " The daily has been three times enlarged, and enjoys a liberal patronage.
The Emporia Republican succeeded the Ledger, a weekly paper, which had been established in June, 1871, by John Maloy, in 1881. C. V. Eskridge purchased this office, (which had also consolidated with the Journal a Greenback paper). W. P. Chalfant's job printing establishment and Graham & Ross' book bindery, consolidated these three establishments; he added new material to the publication of a newspaper. The first number of the Republican appeared January 21, 1882. C. V. Eskridge editor and proprietor. The paper is published daily and weekly.
The daily is a thirty-two column morning paper, being a full member of the Associated Press, and publishing full telegraphic reports. It ranks among the enterprising and leading dailies of the State. The Weekly Republican is a thirty-six column paper, first class in every respect. Both daily and weekly have a large circulation at home, and in the southern and south western portions of the State.
The circulation of the Republicanis rapidly extending. Its able editor and proprietor is now erecting a large three-story brick building to accommodate its increasing business. A gilded American Eagle soars above the handsome cornice work of the structure, and beneath the Bird of Freedom, in raised letters, appears Emporia Republican.
The name of the "Republican indicates its politics. The paper is ably conducted, and a sketch of its editor and proprietor appears in the biographical department. In fact, both editorially, and considered In a business light, the Republican is one of the most prosperous journals in the State. December 14, 1882, the Emporia Republican Publishing Company was formed and incorporated with a capital stock of $50,000. Directors: C. V. Eskridge, Charles Harris, D. J. N. Ross and A. W. Stubbs.
The Emporia Democrat was established March 1, 1879, as the Kansas Sentinel, by W. F. Hetherington. T. McCown purchased the establishment, August 16, 1882, and is its present editor and proprietor. When he assumed the management, the name was changed. It is a weekly paper, the only Democratic journal in the county.
Emporia Tribune was established in the summer of 1869, by Mains & Nixon. In 1871 it was purchased by W. W. Williams. In 1872 it was consolidated with the News, and its publication discontinued.
The Emporia Ledger was established in 1870, as a Democratic paper. It was owned by a stock company, and edited successively by R. M. Ruggles, John Maloy, and Mr. Walker. It afterwards fell into the hands of H. W. McCune, and was published successively by W. F. Chalfant and Albert Pheanis. It was finally merged with the Emporia Journal a paper started by Mr. McCune, the latter paper being discontinued in January, 1882, after an existence of something over a year.
After the erection of the old Constitution School Building, in 1862-63, it was occupied and is still in use. In 1869-70 a new building was erected, known as the Union School. After the incorporation of the town as a city of the second class, in 1870, the public schools of Emporia were classified and graded. At the first city election, held in May, 1870, the following named gentlemen were elected as members of the first Board of Education: S. B. Smith, A. N. Hanna, J. M. Steele. R. M. Overstreet, H. Bancroft, D. E. McMurtine, George Smith, and E. W. Cunningham. At the first session of the Board, R. M. Overstreet was elected president; S. B. Riggs, vice-president; E. W. Cunningham, treasurer; A. N. Hanna, clerk.
Prof. P. J. Carmichael was elected Superintendent of city schools, which office he held two years, and was succeeded by Robert Milliken. In August, 1877, John A. Reynolds was elected to the office for one year. He was succeeded by B. T. Davis, who held the office two years. In 1880, P. J. Carmichael, the present incumbent, was elected.
The district now embraces the entire city and a few outlying districts, and owns seven buildings, namely: The Constitution, erected in 1863; the Union, erected in 1869-70; the Garfield a magnificent brick structure, erected at a cost of $20,000, in 1879-80; the South Avenue and Eighth Avenue, two brick structures erected in 1882, at a cost of $11,188; and two frame structures.
At the establishing of the present school system, in 1870, seven teachers were employed, two buildings, occupied, and 650 pupils enrolled. Statistics for 1881-82, show twenty-two teachers employed., at a consideration of $8,424 annually; seven buildings in use; school census shows 1,909 persons under school age, and an enrollment of 1,497 pupils. The total current expenses amount to $9,790.27.
The present Board of Education is composed of the following named gentlemen: R. Cordley, S. B. Riggs, R. M. Mills, W. J. Jones, N. T. Nix, D. W. Morris, D. C. McMurtrie, T. P. Hall, and H. B. Morris.
State Normal School. In 1863 Hon. C. V. Eskridge, as a Representative to the Kansas introduced a bill providing for the establishing of a State Normal School at Emporia. The bill was passed, and became a law, March 7, 1863. An endowment of 45,680 acres of land was made from lands granted to the State under the "act of admission" in connection with the Salt Springs. At the time the Salt Lands were set apart as a permanent endowment, the sections upon which the Salt Springs were located were reserved by the State, from the belief that they would prove of commercial value. It has since been definitely ascertained that the so-called Salt Springs have no value. February 16, 1864, an act was passed providing for the appointment, by the Governor, of a Board of Directors to consist of nine members. On the 29th of the same month the Legislature made the first appropriation of $1,000, for teachers' wages.
The District School Board of Emporia, having donated the use of the second story of the old stone school building, on Constitution Street, the first term of the Normal was opened by L. B. Kellogg, February 14, 1865, with nineteen students. During that year an appropriation of $10,000 was made by the Legislature for the purpose of erecting suitable buildings. In 1866 a stone building was completed on a site of twenty acres, donated by Giles F. Filey, of St. Louis, Mo. A site of twenty acres had been previously donated by H. W. Fick and the buildings were to have been erected on it, but the arrangement was afterwards changed , and the building erected in the rear of the site of the present one, at a cost; of $15,000.
At this time the school numbered 100 students, and employed three Instructors. The general progress of the school during the next five years was so rapid that the building became inadequate to the demand. In the fall of 1871, 215 students were enrolled. In 1872 the Legislature appropriated $50,000 for a new building, which was completed in 1873, at a cost of $68,000. The new structure was much superior to the old stone building, both in architectural beauty and size. Up to 1878 the institution was supported by the State at an expense of from $10,000 to $15,000. In October, 1878, both the new and old buildings were destroyed by fire, nothing being saved.
To erect a new building was next in order, and, after some delay, the Legislature, in 1879, appropriated $25,000. on the conditions that the county of Lyon and the city of Emporia would give $20,800, the estimated cost of the new building. This was done, and work on the new building commenced. The structure, which was completed May 11, 1880, was erected on the foundation of the burned building, and is almost an exact counterpart of it. It contains a laboratory 3Ox53 feet; a gymnasium; an assembly room, with a seating capacity of 600; recitation, and library rooms, etc., etc. It is one of the handsomest structures of its kind in the State, and is a credit to Emporia.
Since the opening of the institution, the following named gentlemen have officiated as President: L. B. Kellogg, G. W. Hoss, C. R. Pomeroy, R. B. Welch. and A. R. Taylor. The first Board of Regents was composed of G. C. Moorse, C. V. Eskridge, T. S. Huffaker, J. M. Rankin, James Rogers, T. W. Roberts and Gov. S. J. Crawford; William Spriggs, State Treasurer; I. T. Goodnow, Superintendent of Public Instruction - ex officio. Board of Regents (1882): Hon. Edwin Tucker, President; lion. J. R. Crichton, Secretary, Hon. J. W. Loy, Treasurer; Gen. D. E. Clapp, Hon. William Goss. Hon. G. D. Orner. The Faculty for 1882 is composed of A. R. Taylor, M. A. George Fowler, B. A., B. T. Davis, H. E. Sadler, B. A., L. F. Hoxie, V. V. Price, B. Ph.,- S. E. Crichton. Present enrollment, 320.
The First Congregational Church was organized July, 1858, with five members, by the Rev. G. C. Morse. Prior to its organization. Mr. Moorse held services in 1857, at different localities in the then new town of Emporia. In 1859 the erection of a frame building, 22x30 feet, was commenced and completed on the site of the present edifice at a cost of $800. The church was dedicated July, 1860. Mr. Moorse remained as pastor until 1867, when he was succeeded by Rev. M. S. Coswell, who remained eighteen months. During the pastorate of Rev. Coswell the church building was enlarged to 22x60 feet. Membership at this time was fifty-nine, From 1869 to 1871 the church had no regular pastor. In 1871 Rev. Charles Melvine was called and accepted the pastorate, remaining four years. The pulpit was then supplied by Prof. Norton, of the State Normal School. Rev. O. J. Shannon was the next regular pastor, and remained in charge of the organization until April, 1878, when he was killed by the accidental discharge of a gun in the hands of a soldier, during the railroad strikes of that year. Prof. C. R. Pomeroy of the State Normal, supplied the pulpit for six months, when the present pastor, Rev. Cordley. D. D., took charge September 1, 1878. In the winter of 1879-80 the foundations were laid for the present church edifice. The building is a Gothic structure, with extreme dimensions, 72x86 feet, built of gray magnesia limestone, and was completed in the summer of 1881, at a cost of $13,000, It was dedicated to the services of Almighty God January 9, 1882. A flourishing Sabbath school is connected with the organization, having 225 members. Present membership of the church organization, 144.
Second Congregational Church (Welsh). - In the spring of 1866 an organization, with thirty-seven members, of this denomination, was formed by Rev G. C. Morse. and Mr. Fox. Services were held in the First Congregational Church for one year, when a stone building, 24x40 feet, was erected at a cost of $1,800, Rev. H. Reese, the first regular pastor, took charge of the church In 1868 and is the present incumbent. The congregation held services in the old building until the spring of 1882, when it was torn down and the foundations laid for a new structure. The new building is built of brick and stone and will be completed during the winter of 1882-3, at an estimated cost of $10,000. The main building will be 34X65 feet in size, with a lecture room 18x32 feet, and will have a seating capacity of 400. Present number of communicants, 125.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized November 9, 1867, by the Rev. James P. Gordon, with twelve members. The organization at first had no regular pastor, but held irregular services In the Christian Church in the spring of 1869. Rev. R. M. Overstreet took charge of the church, and remained as pastor until July, 1870. He was succeeded by Rev. D. McMillan, who remained but a few months. In September, 1870, work on the church edifice was commenced, and progressed rapidly until the spring of 1871, when it was completed at a cost of $7,000. The edifice, which is a brick structure, 38x60 feet, with seating capacity of four hundred, was dedicated September 3, 1871. October 16, 1870, Rev. A. McCalla took charge of the church and remained as pastor one year, and was succeeded in March, 1873, by Rev. W. C. Harding, who remained until April 30, 1874. The pulpit was then temporarily supplied by Rev. M. J. Firey until October of the same year, when Rev. James H. Clark officiated as pastor until April, 1879. He, was succeeded in July, 1879, by Rev. A. S. Dudley, who remained until January, 1881, when the present pastor, Rev. J. F. Hendy, took charge of the organization, April, 1881. Present number of members, 200.
Salem Presbyterian Church( Welsh).-An organization of this persuasion was perfected at Salem, three miles south of Emporia, 1869, by Rev. R. Overstreet, with eighteen members. The next year a frame building, 25x45 feet, was erected at a cost of $2,500. Pastor, Rev. J. Jones.
In 1871 the Second Presbyterian Church (Welsh) was organized at Emporia, by the Rev. J. Jones, with from eighteen to twenty-five members. During the same year a frame building was erected on the corner of Fourth avenue and Market street, at a cost of $2,500, but was destroyed by fire October, 1871. The foundations for a new building on the same site were immediately laid, and the structure, which was built of brick, was completed in 1872 at a cost of $8,000. The church has had but one pastor during the eleven years of its existence - Rev. J. Jones - Present membership of the Salem Church, 32; of the second Presbyterian, 110.
The First Baptist Church was organized, October, 1859, by the Rev. R. C. Brant, with seven members. The first services were held in a frame building that stood on the west side of Commercial street, between Sixth and Seventh. Owing to the lack of interest, combined with the uncertain condition of affairs at that time, the organization went down and was not revived until 1870, when it was reorganized by Rev. Mr. Wickson. Meetings were first held in the court house, until the next year, when a church edifice was completed on the corner of Merchant, between Fourth and Fifth avenues. The building is a frame structure, 36x50 feet, and cost $3,100. The church now has a membership of 100, and a flourishing Sabbath-school, with an average attendance of 140 pupils. Rev. A. B. Thomlinson, pastor.
First Methodist Episcopal Church.- Early as 1857, religious services were held by pastors - Revs. H. Moyes and J. P, McElfresh, - of the denomination, in the old hotel office, and in a carpenter shop, located on Commercial street, between Sixth and Seventh. In 1860, under the pastorate of - Rev. J. C. Fraker, the foundations for a stone church, 35x60 feet were laid, on the site of the present edifice. During that year the walls were built to the height of ten or twelve feet: In 1861, Rev. John McAnuity, took charge as pastor. He was succeeded in 1862, by Rev. J. W. Stewart. Work was resumed on the building, which was enclosed in the summer of 1863, temporary seats put in, and services held, June 29, 1864. It was dedicated by Rev. D. P. Mitchell. In 1865, Rev. F. D. Loy officiated as pastor; 1866, Rev. J. H. Leard; 1867, Rev. S. E. McBurney; 1868-69, Rev. L. M. Hancock; 1870-72, Rev. B. Kelly; 1873-74, Rev. Charles Lewis; 1875-76, Rev. A. H. Walker; 1877-78, Rev. G. W. Pyle; 1879. Rev. C. R. Rice; 1880-81, Rev. John Kirby; 1882, James T. Hanna. During "Hancock's Administration," the church was struck by lightning, and damaged to the amount of $800. The old building was used until June, 1881, when it was torn down, and the foundations laid for a new edifice, which was completed in December, 1882, at a cost of $18,000. The new building is a handsome commodious structure, with extreme dimensions of 60x96 feet; is built of gray magnesia limestone, and has a seating capacity of 800.
Free Methodist Church. - An organization of this branch of the Methodist persuasion, was effected in 1879, by Rev, J. P. McElfresh, with seven members. Services were held at private houses, until present church was erected. Mr. McElfresh was succeeded in 1880, by Rev. L. C. Ebey, who remained one year; 1881, Rev. W. W. Hullet, seven months; Rev. E. L. Ebey, five months; 1882, Rev. W. N. Hibbard, the present pastor. In 1881, a brick edifice, 28x40 feet, was erected on the corner of South avenue and Commercial streets, at a cost of $1,489.32. It was dedicated October 29, 1882. Present number of members, eighteen.
St. Andrews Church (Episcopal). - Preliminary steps were taken towards organizing a church of this denomination, at a meeting held in the Court House, February 14,1870. A charter was procured under the name of St. Marks Episcopal Church, which name was subsequently, changed to its present appellation. Its organization was effected by the Rev. L. L. Holden, who remained as pastor from the spring of 1870, to October, 1872, and was succeeded by Rev. D. W. Coxe, who remained one year. The pulpit was then irregularly supplied until December, 1875, when Rev. Dr. A. Beatty, supplied the church until October, 1879, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Burrows. Mr. Burrows was succeeded in October, 1882, by the Rev. EL MacKay. the present pastor. The present church edifice - a brick structure, was commenced In 1811, and completed in 1874, at a cost of $3,500. A rectory was built in 1879, at a cost Of $1,000. Present number of communicants, sixty.
Society of Friends. - A meeting of this denomination was organized in 1861, with forty members. Services were held in private residences until 1864, when a meeting house was built on the corner of Sixth and Sylvan streets. This building was a frame structure, 20x24 feet, and was used until the summer of 1881, when it was sold and moved away. A new building 28x40, was immediately built on the site of the old one, at a cost of $1,200. In the fall of 1879, a division occurred among the Friends, by reason of which many of the old, original members left and formed a new organization. The old organization had no regular pastor until the spring of 1878, when Mrs. M. H. Rogers took charge, and remained worthy of being the present pastor. Rev. A. Kenworthy succeeded her, and remained five months, Rev. O. N. Kenworthy being the present pastor. Present membership, 100.
The Cottonwood Monthly Meeting of the society of Friends was opened in 1860, and services held at the house of John Moon until 1862, when the meeting house was built.
The Cottonwood Quarterly Meeting of Friends was opened at the meeting house in 1868. The division among the members of the Emporia meeting caused the dissenters to form anew meeting among themselves, and erect a meeting house.
St. Paul's Reformed Church was organized in the summer of 1878, by Rev. J. G. Shoemaker, with thirty-one members. Rev. Shoemaker remained until February, 1881. The pulpit was then without a pastor until December, 1882, when Rev. D. B. Shuey took charge. The present church edifice, on the corner of Ninth and Constitution streets, is a commodious brick structure, 40x60 feet, and was erected in 1880, at a cost of $3,000. Present membership, forty.
Evangelical Church (German), a temporary organization, was effected in June, 1882. July 22, 1882, the organization was made permanent, with eleven members, by Rev. C. F. Erffmeyer. Regular services were held in the Free Methodist Church. A church edifice is in contemplation, to be built in 1883.
Church of the Sacred Heart (Catholic) was organized in 1874, by Father Jos. Perrier, with twelve families. A brick church edifice, 30x40 feet, was built the same year, at a cost of $2,000. Father Perrier remained until 1880 when the church passed into the hands of the Order of St. Francis, Rev. D. Mier, priest. In 881, a two-story brick edifice, 50x80 feet, was built, at a cost of $8,000, which is used by the order for religious services. In 1882, another two-story brick building, 40x60 feet, was completed, at a cost of $4,000, and is to be used as a parochial school. Present number of scholars attending, ninety-five. A hospital is in process of erection, which, when completed, will be a two-story brick or stone 30x54 feet, with two wings, and will cost $10,000. Present number of families, 100.
The United Presbyterian Church was first organized by Rev. J. A. Collins, in 1869, with thirteen members. Mr. Collins remained in charge until spring of 1871. The church then had no regular pastor until 1875, when Rev. James Barnett, D. D., occupied the pulpit until 1880, when the organization became defunct. In 1881, it was again organized by Rev. J. A. Collins, who is the present supply. The organization has no church edifice, but expects to build in 1883. Present number of communicants, twenty-two.
Christian Church - Of this church, although one of the oldest in the city, but little can be said as to its general history, on account of the failure o f parties in responding to demands made for sketch. It was organized in 1856, with six members, by Elder S. G. Brown, and an edifice was completed in 1858. It is the intention of the body to erect a handsome edifice in 1883. Elder Lotz, present pastor.
Emporia Lodge, No. 12, A., F. & A. M. - An informal meeting of those interested in Masonry was held January 15, 1858, and L. H. D. Bailey was elected W. M.: H. W. Fick, S. W., and C. F. Maurer, J. F. The first regular meeting held July 24, 1858. A charter was granted December 21, 1864, with the following charter members: B. J. Purcell, C. V. Eskridge, H. W. Fick, E. Boron, and T. E. Hicks. Its present officers are J. C. Jones, W. M., W. W. Scott, S. W.; W. F. Ewing, J. W.; F. W. Hirth, Sec. Regular meetings are held on first Friday evenings of each month in the Masonic Temple. Present number of members, 154.
Emporia Chapter, No. 12, R. A. M., was organized under dispensation, June 4, 1869. A charter was granted October 19, 1869, with P. B. Plumb, H. P.; T. G. Wibley, king; B. Y. Hunt, scribe. Present officers are J. Jay Buck, H. P.; D. A. Stahl. king; John C. Jones scribe; F. W. Hirth. Sec. Regular communications are held on the second Friday evening of each month at Masonic Temple. Present number of members, sixty-two.
Emporia Council. No. 7, R. S. & S. E. M., was organized May 5, 1880, with twelve members. Its first officers were J. C. Bennett, T. I'll. M.; J. Jay Buck, D. M., W. W. Hibben Treas.; J. J. Pettingell, Rec. Present officers are R. E. Torrington. T. I'll. M.; D. A. Stahl, D. M.; J. H. Willhite. Treas.; J. J. Pettingell, Sec. Regular meetings held on fourth Friday evenings of March, June, September and December. Present membership, fifteen.
Emporia Commandery, No. 8. K. T., was organized under a charter dated May 6, 1875. Its first officers were Sir L. D. Jacobs, Em. Com.; Sir H. C. Cross, Gen.; Sir A. Gilbert, Capt. Gen.; Sir D. A. Stahl, P.; Sir W. W. Hibben, S. W.; Sir T. C. Watson, J. W.; Sir L. L. Halleck, Treas.; Sir T. C. Davidson. Rec. Present officers are Sir J. M. Steele. Em. Com. Sir D. A. Stahl. Gen.; Sir W. W. Hibben. Capt. Gen.; J. F. Culver. P.; Sir L. T. Halleck, S. W.; Sir C. W. Cleaver. J. W.; Sir S. R. Hall, Treas.; Sir Edward Borton, Rec. Regular conclaves are held on third Friday evenings of each month at Masonic Temple. Present membership, fifty-eight.
Union Lodge, No. 15, I. 0. 0. P., was organized under a charter dated June 20, 1865, with the following charter members: Joseph Hall, W. F. Hanford, J. W. Weaver. Th. Hall, and Ross Thomas. Present officers: L. Dewees, N. G.; W. H. Solsby, V. G., Robert Jeff, Treas.; F. W. Hirth, Sec. Regular meetings held at Odd Fellows' Hall- Thursday evenings. Present number of members, 122.
Emporia Encampment, No. 17, I. 0. 0. F., was instituted under dispensation May 8, 1871. A charter was granted October 12, 1871, with the following charter members - H. H. Smith, Jos. Ruf, A. Graham, T. P. Hall, J. Bay, F. W. Hirth, A. S. Townsly. First officers - J. Bay, C. P.; J. Ruf, H. P.; T. P. Hall, S. W.; H. H. Smith, J. W.; F. W. Hirth, scribe. Its present officers are - F. Stuckey, C. P.; A. Fuller, H. P.; R. W. Jeremy, S. W.; R. Jeff. J. W.; W. W. Hirth, scribe. Regular meetings are held on second and fourth Thursday evenings of each month at I. O. O. F. Hall. Present number of members, twenty-one.
Central Lodge, No. 781, K. of H., was organized under a charter October 13. 1877, with eighteen members. Its first officers were - J. W. Trueworthy, P. D.; T. L. Halleck, D.; J. D. Davidson, V. D.; B. F. Kenyon. Rep.; W. S. Jay, Fin. Rep.; J. R. Graham, Treas.; Jos. Clark, Chap. Present officers - J. W. Trueworthy, D.; J. R. Graham, P. D.; H. E. Fox, Rep., A. McKinney. Treas.; Jos. Culver, Chap. Regular meetings are held at Weavers, Hall on first and third Wednesday evenings. Present membership, ninety-six.
Walkrup Lodge, No. 2010, K. of H., was instituted January 28, 1880, with forty-three members. Its first officers were - R. B. Welch, P. D.; R. E. Torrington. D.; J. H. Clotfelter, V. D.; C. O. Ryder, Asst. D.: S. F. Murphy, Fin. R.; C. V. Eskridge, Treas.; Rev. Th. Burrows, Chap. Present officers - S. B. Riggs. P. D.; F. McCain, D.; O. D. Rasmussen, V. D.; R. E. Torrington, Asst. D.; J. W. Truitt, R.; S. B. Riggs, Fin. R. Regular meetings are held on second and fourth Wednesday evenings at Weavers' Hall. Present number of members, sixty-one.
Martha Washington Lodge. No. 400, K. & L. of H. was organized February 22, 1881, with sixty-six members. First officers - J. M. Steele. P.; Mrs. H. M. Steele, V. P.; H. E. Fox, Sec'y.; O. D. Rasmussen. Fin. Sec'y; Mrs. D. W. Eastman. Treas.; Rev. R. Cordley Chap. Present officers - V. T. Davis, P.; Mrs. V. Hurst, V. P.; O. D. Rasmussen, Fin. Sec'y.; H. E. Fox Sec'y.; W. H. Bisler, Treas.; Mrs. L. Freeman. Chap. Regular meetings on first and third Tuesday evenings at Weavers' Hall.; Present number of members, sixty-five.
Damascus Lodge, No. 11. K. of P., was instituted under a charter dated March 6, 1874, with twenty charter members. Its first officers were - F. W. Watson, P. C., P. F. Jones. C. C.; M. L. Tunkhouse, V. C.; W. C. Stewart, P.; R. E. Morris, K. of R. & S.; f. D. Fox. M. F.; H. Dunlap, M. E.; J. W. Morris, M. A. Present officers - J. S. Conwell, P. C.; A. S. Smith, C. C.; C. P. Theis. V. C.; W. F. Ewing, P.; J. W. Feigham, M. F.; T. S. Jones- M. E.; - D. Hall, K. of R. & S.; W. C. Fithian, W. A.; N. B. Ireland, I. G.; A. Pickens. 0. G. Regular meetings are held every Wednesday evening at hall over postoffice building. Present membership, fifty.
Emporia Lodge, No. 2. A. 0. U. W., was organized under a charter granted September 10, 1877, with forty-seven members. First officers were - C. B. Bachelor, P. M. W.; J. C. Jones, M. W.; G. P. Jones, Fin.; E. Beck. F.; H. Dunlap - Rec.; D. S. Gilmore, Rec'd. Its present officers are - P. J. Carmichael, P. M. W.; T. E. McMillan. M. W.; C. C. Martin, F.; W. H. Summers, O.; S. H. Rich, Rec.; E. Beck. Fin.; T. F. Davenport, Rec'd.; Jas. E. Klock, G. Meets every Monday evening in Weaver's Hall. Present number of members, 180.
Emporia Post, No. 55, G. A. R., was organized under a charter dated May 6, 1882, with thirty, members. Its officers are: J. W. Feighan. Com., J. Jay Buck. Sen. vice-Com., W. F. Chalfante, Jr. vice-Com.; J. A. Young. Adj't.; W. H. Gilchrist, Q. M.; W. W. McCanliss. Surg.; W. D. Furgenson, 0. of G.; A. Buckner, Chap. Meets every Saturday evening at Weaver's Hall. Present membership, ninety.
In 1877, what is known as the Knights Templar Band, was organized with ten pieces. under the leadership of J. G. Egan, and T. C. Davidson, business manager. The organization purchased Instruments and uniforms, at a cost of $800. Their first contest was in August, 1877. at the Triennial Conclave of the Knights Templar, at Cleveland, Ohio. In September, 1877, they took the first prize at the Kansas City Exposition. In June, 1879, they accompanied the Kansas Editorial Excursion to Mackinaw. In August, 1880, they accompanied the Knights Templar to the Triennial Conclave, at Chicago. In the fall of 1881, the band was re-organized, under the same leadership, with sixteen members, and purchased new uniforms at a cost of $500. In September, 1882, they took the first prize at the Kansas State Fair, held at Topeka, in which the best bands in the State participated. It is today, the acknowledged leader of band organizations in the State, and is the pride of Emporia. Its present officers are, J. G. Egan, leader, and T. C. Davidson, business manager.
Emporia Rifles Co. E., 2nd Reg. Kan. Vol.,was organized under the laws of the State, providing for the organization of State militia in September, 1879, with forty-five men, under the command of E. P. Bruner, Capt.: L. S. Page, First Lieut.; C. A. Wolf, second Lieut. In the fall of 1881, in connection with the company, was organized the Emporia Rifles' Band, with thirteen pieces, under the leadership of C. D. Zellers. The Company is at present (1882) under the command of C. A. Wolf, Capt; G. W. Riggs. First Lieut.; W. P. Wilcox, Second Lieut. Armory is located between Second and Third avenues, in Commercial street.
Banks and Banking
The history of the banking business in Emporia dates back to 1867, when a private banking institution was established by J. R. Swallow, L. T. Heritage, and W. T. Soden, under the firm name of J. R. Swallow & Co. The firm occupied rooms in the old News building. In 1869, under the same management, the Emporia Bank was established.
The Emporia National Bank, was established June 4, 1872, with a capital stock of $50,000, under the official management of P. B. Plumb, president; W. T. Soden, vice-president, and L. T. Heritage, cashier, which position he has retained up to the present time. In January, 1879, the capital stock was increased to $75.000; in September, 1873, to $85.000, and in April, 1880, to $100,000. In 1873, Maj. C. Hood became a director, and in 1876 was elected vice-president, which position he has since held. This institution was not only the first National Bank established in Emporia, but in this part of the State. October 3, 1872, their deposits amounted to $75,923.28; October 3, 1882, $518,527.71.
Their first year's exchange business amounted to $800,000; In 1882, over $4,000,000. In l882, their annual statement was as follows: Resources - Loans and discounts, $449,073.12; overdrafts, $8,306.25; United States bonds, $50,000; other bonds, $10,937; expenses and taxes, $4,159.56; due from the United States Treasurer, $2,259; due from banks, $137,401.95; cash, $88,555.58 - total, $750,773.55. Liabilities. - Capital stock, $100,000; surplus $50,00O; undivided profits, $37,245.81; circulation, $45,000; Deposits, $518,527; total, $750.733.55. Present Board of Directors: P. B. Plumb, C. Hood, L. T. Heritage, W. T. Soden, D. Bitler, A. Roberts, L. Lutz and A. G. Edniston. Officers: P. B. Plumb, Pres.; C. Hood, Vice-Pres.; L. T. Heritage, cashier; J. M. Steele, Ass't. cashier.
In the summer of 1869 S. B. Riggs, H. Dunlap and L. C. Robinson established what is now known as the Emporia Savings Bank. Under the firm name of Riggs, Dunlap & Co., the institution transacted a general banking business until the fall of 1883, when Mr. Riggs retired from the firm, L. C. Robinson having withdrawn his interest prior to 1873. The surviving members of the firm carried on the business until 1875, when the Emporia Savings Bank was organized with an authorized capital of $100,000. The board of directors are: J. Jay Buck, H. Dunlap, E. P. Bruner, J. J. Wright and J. W. Trueworthy. Officers: J. Jay Buck, Pres.; H. Dunlap, cashier and Sec'y.
In November, 1870, the Neosho Valley Bank was established, with a capital of $50,000. H. C. Cross was elected president and R. B. Hurst, cashier. The institution continued business under this name until January 1, 1872, when the First National Bank was organized, with a capital of $50.000. Its first officers were, H. C. Cross, Pres.; William Martindale, Vice-Pres.; R. B. Hurst, cashier. The capital was soon increased to $75.000, and about a year later was increased to $100,000. R. B. Hurst retained his position as cashier until his death, June, 1878. The vacancy was filled by Charles S. Cross, as acting cashier, until the date of his appointment, November 1,1881.
Mr. Martindale, who was one of the original stockholders in the Neosho Valley Bank, has retained his position as vice-president of the institution up to the present time. Their statement as made October 3,1882, is as follows: Resources - Loans and discounts, $383,204 30; United States bonds, $25,000; Kansas school bonds, $18,602.45; furniture and fixtures, $3,000; Sight Exchange, $102,718.32; cash, $123,611.31; government bonds, $25,000; total, $681,136.41. Liabilities - Capital stock paid in, $100,000; surplus fund, $50,000; undivided profit, $7,729.70; circulation, $22,300; deposits, $500,966.71; total, $681,136.41. Present board of directors: H. C. Cross, William Martindale, C. S. Cross, E. R. Holderman, James B. Hinkle, Luther Severy.
An honorable mention may be made of the banks of Emporia to the effect that through all the vicissitudes and commercial panics occurring during the past fifteen years, they have always paid 100 cents on every dollar on demand.
Emporia Loan and Trust Company was incorporated in March, 1881, with a capital stock of $120,000. Board of directors and officers are: H. C. Cross, Pres.; L. C. Severy, vice Pres.; O. D. Swan, Sec'y and Att'y, and William Martindale.
Their method of business, briefly stated, is this: 1. Personal examination and appraisement of land offered as security for loans, by an officer of the Company or a special agent appointed for that purpose; also, suitable investigation of character and pecuniary responsibility of all applicants for loans. 2. Careful examination of title to land offered, and preparation of a full and complete abstract of title, to be approved before completing loan by the counsel of the Company. 3. Loans made only on security of first mortgage of land free from all incumbrances or prior liens. 4. Principal and interest payable at the First National Bank, New York, unless otherwise directed. 5. Annual ascertainment of payment or non-payment of taxes by borrower and timely notice to lender of non-payment thereof, without charge to lender. 6. In the event of mortgaged land coming into possession of lender, and his not wishing to hold same as an investment, the Company will take charge of the property for owner's account and pay taxes, let and collect rent, and sell same, without compensation to Company for its services, unless it can realize such compensation out of net proceeds of sale of said property.
Central Loan and Land Company: - Was incorporated in 1879, with P. B. Plumb, President; C. Hood, vice-president; S. B. Warren, Treasurer; Th. S. Krutz, Secretary; L. T. Heritage being an incorporator. Organizing with capital stock of $50,000, their principal business is first mortgages and real estate loans. Since their organization, the company has loaned over $1,500,000, their business extending over twenty counties of the State.
Lyon County Mutual Loan Association: - Was organized in June, 1878, with a capital stock of $150,000, which was subsequently increased to $185,000. Its first Board of Directors were E. P. Brunner, I. D. Fox, H. Dunlap, J. A. Young, J. M. Griffith, A. G. Lakin, F. Haussler, T. Stone and A. S. Smith. The company does a general loaning business. Present officers are: J. M. Griffith, president; H. Dunlap, treasurer; and D. W. Eastman, secretary.
Union Building and Loan Association: - Was incorporated March 26, 1880, with an authorized capital of $1,000,000. Subscribed capital, April, 1880, $160,000; July, $215,000; present (1882), $385,000. Board of Directors - 1880 to 1883 - D. W. Eastman. H. Dunlap, W. F. Chalfant, J. M. Griffith, E. P. Brunner, T. L. Ryan, J. K. Tyler, E. F. Sprague. As the name of the company signifies, their business is conducted . Present officers, J. M. Griffith, president; E. P. Brunner, vice-president; J. S. Watson, treasurer and H. Dunlap, secretary.
Hotels and Other Buildings
Emporia is celebrated all over the West for the excellence of its hotel facilities. Of the first hotel or tavern, a reference is made elsewhere in these pages. Of the ten or twelve hotels located in the city, there are three that deserve special mention. The Park Place Hotel, located on the corner of Third avenue and Merchants street, opposite the Santa Fe Depot, was erected in the fall and winter of 1877-78, and opened March 28, 1878. The building, as first erected was a three-story brick. 36x60 feet, since which time additions have been made. During the five years of its existence, it has been under the control of L. A. Luther.
The New Fifth Avenue Hotel is located on the corner of Fifth avenue and Merchants street, and was completed and opened in 1882. The building is a large handsome, two-story brick., with basement 50x90 feet, and was erected at a cost of $18,000. The house, under the management of William Powell, is meeting with favor from the traveling public.
The Emporia Hotel Company was incorporated May 12, 1880, with a capital stock of $20,000, which was subsequently increased to $30,000. The officers of the association were: H. C. Whitley, president; L. Severy, vice-president; R. D. Thomas, Treas.; A. M. Summers, Sec. A hotel known as the Hotel Coolidge, was erected on the corner of Sixth avenue and Merchants street, and opened to the traveling public May 1, 1881. The building, which is a large, substantial, three-story brick, 90 x110 feet, was erected at a cost of $30,000. On Its completion it was leased to E. K. Criley & Co., for a term of five years. Under its present management, it has the reputation of being one of the best appointed and well-regulated hotels in the State.
In 1880, a three-story brick building, 50x80 feet, was erected at a cost of $30,000, on the corner of Fifth avenue and Commercial street, by Maj. F. P. Bancroft. The third floor of the building was fitted up for theatrical use and was known as Bancroft's Hall. The auditorium had a seating capacity of 600. In 1879, the building passed into the hand's W. S. Jay. since which time it has been known as Jay's Opera House.
Whitley's Opera House was built by a stock company organized in April, 1881, with H. C. Whitley, Pres.; Charles S. Cross, Treas.; Van R. Holmes, Sec. and L. Severy, H. C. Cross, and William Martindale, as Directors. The building, which is a large three-story brick structure, 65x90 feet, was erected at a cost of $35,000, and was opened January 28,1882. Among its advantages may be mentioned: A stage, 36x60 feet, full sets of fire-proof scenery, well ventilated, heated by hot air, commodious dressing rooms, lighted with gas, protected from fire by the Holley System of Water Works, supplied with Andrews' Grand Opera chairs and a seating capacity of 200.
The first flour manufactured in this part of the State was made by W. T. Soden, in August, 1858. His mill was in what was then known as Cottonwood Township, now known as Pike Township. Prior to that time he operated a saw-mill at the same place, starting it in March, 1857. In the spring of 1860, he sold his mill, came to Emporia and erected one-half mile south of the city, on the Cottonwood, the Emporia Water Mills. The first building he erected was two and one-half stories, and 31x48 feet. It had one run of buhrs, and a capacity of less than 200 bushels per day. Since that time he has erected new buildings and enlarged his establishment generally. His mills now have six run of buhrs, with a capacity of 1,200 bushels per day.
On the opposite band from this mill is a three-story frame structure, 50x70 feet, erected in 1877. In 1874, Mr. Soden commenced the manufacture of furniture in the old mill building, and carried it on until the new building was completed. The present stone dam was built in 1879, and furnishes from 300 to 400 horse-power, ru running seven wheels in the grist mills and two in the furniture factory. Over $16,000 worth of furniture is manufactured annually.
The only foundry in the county, located at Emporia, on the M., K. & T. R. R. track was, in 1874, purchased by J. C. Jones. Mr. Jones operated it until 1876, when it was destroyed by fire. The foundry was immediately rebuilt on the corner of Market and Third avenue, and under its present management is doing a good business.
Emporia Carriage Factory -This industry was first established by Messrs. Ryan & Lyon, in 1872, they occupying a building on Sixth and Merchants streets. In 1874, Lyon retired, after which the firm name was known as Ryan & Conner. In 1878, Conner sold his interest, leaving T. L. Ryan sole proprietor. In the fall of 1881, he purchased the building in which his establishment is now located. The factory employs from ten to fifteen skilled mechanics and manufactures from forty to fifty vehicles annually.
Emporia Electric and Gaslight Company -Was incorporated February 26,1881, with a capital of $50,000, by W. S. Jay, J. M. Griffith, E. P. Brunner, L. L. Halleck and E. W. Cunningham. Gasworks were immediately erected. Four and one-half miles of main; two benches of three, and one of four retorts, are in use.
City Mills.-In the summer of 1882, a four-story brick mill, 30x46 feet was erected by T. Armor. The is mill operated by steam power, has five run of buhrs, with a capacity of six hundred bushels every twenty-four hours.
Emporia was founded in February 1857, drawing its name from ancient Carthaginian Africa. Emporia is particularly known for its newspaper, the Emporia Gazette, published in the first half of the twentieth century by the legendary newspaperman William Allen White. The paper became the widely perceived model of excellence in small-town journalism.
In 1953, Emporia was the site of the first Veterans Day observance in the United States. At the urging of local shoe cobbler Alvin J. King, US Representative Ed Rees introduced legislation in The United States Congress to rename Armistice Day as Veterans Day. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law on October 8, 1954.
On June 8, 1974, an F4 tornado struck Emporia killing 6 people, injuring 220 people, and causing $20 million in damages.
Emporia is located at 38°24'29N, 96°11'13W (38.408148, -96.187054). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 25.8 km² (10.0 mi²). 25.6 km² (9.9 mi²) of it is land and 0.2 km² (0.1 mi²) of it (0.60%) is water. The Neosho River is accessible at the northern edge of town, and the Cottonwood River at the southern edge, passing by Peter Pan Park and the Emporia Zoo at Soden's Grove.
As of the census of 2000, there were 26,760 people, 10,253 households, and 6,039 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,043.6/km² (2,703.0/mi²). There were 11,019 housing units at an average density of 429.7/km² (1,113.0/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.63% White, 2.96% African American, 0.48% Native American, 2.66% Asian, 12.75% from other races, and 2.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 21.49% of the population.
There were 10,253 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.4% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.1% were non-families. 31.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 19.4% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 17.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 95.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,809, and the median income for a family was $41,571. Males had a median income of $27,915 versus $20,946 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,157. About 12.4% of families and 17.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.6% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
In addition to Emporia State University, Emporia has several large employers: The Tyson Foods plant slaughters and packs approximately 4000 head of beef per day and employs over 2000 workers; Dolly Madison has a bakery in Emporia; Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation was founded in Emporia in 1953;
Menu Foods operates a multi-acre facility in Emporia that manufactures wet dog food. This company was a major player in the 2007 dog food scandal, in which many dogs died nationawide from tainted gluten purchased from Chinese sources. Cheaper is not always better.