The Early History of Edgerton
by William G. Cutler (1883)
Edgerton is situated in the southwestern part of the county, near the junction of two branches of Bull Creek. The land here is of excellent quality, the surface of the country is gently undulating and considerable building stone is found along the creeks. The town is located on the farm of Judge David Martin, one of the oldest settlers in this part of the county, he having come here in June, 1857. The railroad was completed to this place in July, 1870, and the station named Edgerton, after the chief engineer of the road, hence the name of the postoffice and town.
The first building erected other than the railroad station, was a dwelling by Creel & Morse in the fall of 1870. The first store was built by S. C. Rankin about the same time, and the second by Dr. Rezon Addy; shortly afterwards Reuben Perkins built the first hotel in 1871; D. C. Dewyer moved his blacksmith shop from Lanesfield to Edgerton in July, 1871. The first family that moved into the town was that of A. V. McKim, in the fall of 1870. The Presbyterian Church built in Lanesfield at a cost of nearly $2,000, was moved to Edgerton in the summer of 1871. Rev. J. N. Rankin was pastor at the time and continued to minister to the church until 1881, when he removed to Gardner, being succeeded in Edgerton by Rev. Mr. Stout, present incumbent.
The United Presbyterian Church was organized here and built their church in 1871, at a cost of $2,400. Their ministers have been, Rev. J. W. Martin, until 1874; Rev. J. N. Smith from 1875 to 1881; and Rev. W. A. Anderson commencing in 1881. The Methodist Church was moved from Lanesfield to Edgerton in 1873 and rebuilt at a cost of $1,200. The ministers of this church have been: Rev. J .C. Telford, Rev. Mr. Havermill, Rev. J. O. Roberts, and the present pastor Rev. Mr. Osborn.
The schoolhouse was built in 1871. It is a two-story frame and cost $2,100. The first school taught in it was by Robert B. Quay, in the winter of 1871-2.
Edgerton Mills, Larrick Bros. proprietors, was built in the fall of 1879. The building is a three-story frame, and with the machinery cost $9,000. It contains three run of buhrs and a pony, propelled by a steam engine of forty-horse power, and has a capacity of 200 bushels in twenty-hour sic hours.
A grange store was started November 1, 1880, with S. B. Barker manager. In addition to this store there are three general stores, two drug stores, one hardware store, four agricultural implement stores, two hotels, and a population of about 350.
Edgerton is the home of S. M. Crockett, whose father was a nephew of David Crockett of historic fame. Mr. Crockett moved into the county January 24, 1847, with his father who, at that time, came to the Methodist Mission to assist Rev. Thomas Johnson in teaching the Shawnee Indians. Mr. Crockett bears the distinction of being the earliest resident of the county now living within it.
Edgerton is located at 38°45'49N, 95°0'37W (38.763639, -95.010239). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.3 km² (1.3 mi²). 3.3 km² (1.3 mi²) of it is land and 0.78% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,440 people, 474 households, and 388 families residing in the city. The population density was 434.4/km² (1,127.7/mi²). There were 500 housing units at an average density of 150.8/km² (391.6/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.97% White, 0.35% African American, 1.46% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 1.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.22% of the population. 23.5% were of German, 21.2% American, 14.5% Irish and 10.3% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 474 households out of which 50.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.1% were non-families. 11.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the city the population was spread out with 33.0% under the age of 18, 11.4% from 18 to 24, 35.9% from 25 to 44, 16.0% from 45 to 64, and 3.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 112.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $50,179, and the median income for a family was $51,213. Males had a median income of $32,041 versus $23,594 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,911. About 2.3% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.6% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.