The Early History of Cherryvale
by Frank W. Blackmar (1912)
Cherryvale was laid off as a town site, in May, 1871, by the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railway Company, and is situated in the eastern part of Montgomery County, about ten miles east of the city of Independence. The land , upon which the place is built, was originally taken as a claim, by Joseph Wise. The first building erected upon the site was the Union Hotel, built by "General" Darr. The first store was started by C. A. Clotfelter and J. P. Baldwin, consisting of general merchandise. Stanfield and Brewer had a store about a mile north of the town site, which, when the town was laid out, they moved upon the site, and in 1872, sold out to Seth Paxton.
The town had made some progress up to 1873, when a fire broke out, destroying the main business part of town. This had the effect to dishearten those of her unfortunate business men and to dampen the prospects of the town. But they were not men easily enduced to give up, and in the face of all discouragements, O. F. Carson and C. C. Kincaid began the erection of a brick business block, which was soon followed by other solid stone and brick houses. O. F. Carson began the drug business here in 1872.
For some time the progress of the town was extremely slow, and, during a period of eight years, up to 1879, it had a population of only 250. During the last named year, the St. Louis, Wichita and Western Railroad was built, crossing the K. C., L. & S. K. road at this place. The narrow gauge railroad was constructed during this year, by the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad Company, leading from here to the coal fields in Cherokee County, and which was made a standard gauge road in October, 1882.
It was, also, in 1879, that the K. C., L. & S. K. road was extended westward to the Arkansas River, and the piece of this road leading south to Coffeyville was afterwards operated as a branch. This gave the town a new impetus and its building became rapid as it had hitherto been slow. It now is a city numbering 1,400 inhabitants and a place of fine commercial importance, numbering many large and substantial business establishments. The place contains numerous solid brick business block and tastily constructed residences.
From a little village, in 1879, with only 250 people, Cherryvale, in about one year's time, was ready to become a city under the law, as she already was in size; and in March, 1880, pursuant to a petition signed by the citizens and presented to the court, by E. D. Hastings, was duly incorporated as a city of the third class. On the first Tuesday of April, city officers were elected as follows: C. C. Kincaid, Mayor; A. Buch, J. M. Richardson, Frank Bellchamber, J. A. Handley and A. V. McCormick, Councilmen; A. Wood, Police Judge.
At the first meeting of the mayor and council, A. Phalp was appointed Treasurer, M. F. Wood, Clerk; J. C. Cunningham, Marshal, and B. F. Hinds, Street Commissioner. In the following May, Councilmen Richardson and Bellchamber moved out of the city, and, at a special election in June, N. B. Sawyer and C. P. Buffington were elected to fill the vacancies. The present city officers are: A. Phalp, Mayor; M. F. Wood, Clerk; C. C. Kincaid, Treasurer; S. P. Moore, Police Judge; J. W. C. Osborn, Marshal and Street Commissioner; E. B. Clark, C. A. Mitchell, E. D. Hastings, W. E. Martin and E. S. McDonald, Councilmen.
Schools, Churches, Etc.
The first school was taught in Cherryvale in the summer of 1873, by Miss Mary Greenfield. A schoolhouse was erected in 1872, and is a small two-story frame structure. This building has long since become insufficient for the accommodation of the schools, which were provided apartments in such rooms as could be had suitable for the purpose. A commodious new school building was erected in the fall of 1882, and is a fine two-story brick structure containing four large rooms, and cost about $6,000. The schools, now systematically graded, enumerate a population of 490 pupils, enrolling 354, with an average daily attendance of 204, and are superintended by G. B. Leslie, assisted by four competent teachers.
Cherryvale, also, has her quota of church organizations, as follows:
The Methodist Episcopal congregation was organized in 1871, and a regular church edifice was erected in 1880. It is a brick building of moderate dimensions, and of suitable architecture. The building was begun under the administration of Rev. William Shambaugh, and completed under that of Rev. James Murray, the present pastor of the church.
The Baptist Society was established here, on May 18, 1873, by Rev. J. R. Baldwin, with eight members, and was effected in the schoolhouse, in which the early services were held, until the removal to the Opera Hall. The congregation, numbering thirty-two members, is under the charge of Rev. Mr. Johnson.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized December 11, 1881. First meetings were held at Opera House, and the congregation continued to worship there until January 1, 1883, then moved into their new church edifice, which has been constructed at a cost of $2,700. Present indebtedness only $400. It is one of the best church buildings in Southern Kansas belonging to the Presbyterian denomination. Original membership twenty-four; present membership fifty. They have a well attended Sunday school, average attendance being fifty. First pastor, Rev. W. B. Truax, remained from December, 1881, to April, 1882; succeeded by present pastor, Rev. S. W. Griffin. To the personal efforts of C. L. Berry and Rev. W. B. Truax may be attributed the successful organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Cherryvale. The present officers of the church are: C. L. Berry, treasurer and superintendent Sunday school; James Morning, clerk; J. B. Odil and D. R. Griffith, deacons.
The Catholic Society, organized in 1875, and a church house was built in 1877, and is a small frame building. The society here is small, and is under the spiritual advisement of Father Scholls, of Independence.
The Cherryvale Globe was established and the first issue made August 3, 1878, by Pratt & Buffington. In about a year Pratt sold out his interest to Buffington. This change took place in September, 1879, and in the latter part of December the establishment was burned up. The citizens, realizing their loss in being without a paper, lent their aid and influence towards its re-establishment, and, in April of the next year, the paper was resurrected from the dust and ashes of the conflagration, by Buffington & Rambo. For awhile, until the material and press and everything was in shape, the paper was printed at Kansas City. In November, 1880, T. C. Copeland bought Rambo's interest, who, in turn, soon disposed of his part of the concern to C. T. Ewing. Another change was soon made, and in May, 1881, the Globe Publishing Company was formed, composed of C. P. Buffington, J. D. Hinkle and J. J. Chatham, and on February 10, 1882, became the sole possession of J. D. Hinkle, & was subsequently united with the Cherryvale News, edited and published by S. P. Moore & Son, the new paper being called the Globe News, and is now in successful operation.
The first issue of the Cherryvale Torch was made in February, 1882, by C. P. Buffington and T. C. Copeland. After running about three months, Buffington sold his share to C. T. Ewing, who, in September, 1882, bought Copeland's interest also, and became sole proprietor, and employed A. S. Duley as editor and manager of the paper.
Cherryvale Lodge, No. 137, A., F. & A. M., was instituted October 16, 1873, with thirteen charter members. The officers elected were: O. F. Carson, worshipful master; Seth Paxton, senior warden and J. C. Breckenridge, junior warden. The present membership is fifty-five. The present officers are: O. F. Carson, worshipful master; M. L. Crowl, senior warden; William Hummell, junior warden.
Cherryvale Lodge, No. 142, I. O. O. F., was organized October 10, 1877, with five charter members, as follows: W. B. Baldwin, George Lutz, Cyrus Campbell, N. B. Thorp and S. F. Smith.
The society of the Ancient Order of United Workmen was instituted in February, 1882, by Deputy Grand Master, D. M. Legg, of Winfield, with twenty charter members. C. P. Buffington was chosen past master workman; C. C. Thompson, master workman; S. L. Gibson, overseer; A. D. Smith, foreman; A. K. Cain, recorder; and J. P. Baker, receiver.
The Cherryvale Opera House Company was organized and incorporated as a joint stock company in September, 1880, with J. W. Willis, president; E. B. Clark, secretary; and O. F. Carson, treasurer. A large one-story frame opera hall was constructed, and is used as an opera and town hall, and also for school purposes.
Bank. - A banking house was established here, in the spring of 1880, by C. T. Ewing, he being president of the institution, and C. A. Mitchell, cashier. A bank building was erected in the fall of 1881, and is a substantial two-story brick structure, suitably arranged for banking purposes.
Besides the usual smaller factories as are common to small cities, such as wagon making, etc., Cherryvale has only one manufacturing establishment of importance, and that is, the flouring mill, which was established here in 1873 by a man named Dodd. The mill contains four run of buhrs, and has a capacity for grinding 200 bushels of wheat and 100 of corn per day. The building is sixty feet long by thirty wide, and is two stories high. The establishment, after changing hands several times, is now owned by A. Buch, and does a flourishing business.
Cherryvale is located at 37°16'5N, 95°33'3W (37.268010, -95.550778). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.1 km² (1.6 mi²). 4.0 km² (1.5 mi²) of it is land and 0.1 km² (0.04 mi²) of it (1.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,386 people, 982 households, and 639 families residing in the city. The population density was 594.3/km² (1,537.2/mi²). There were 1,142 housing units at an average density of 284.5/km² (735.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.09% White, 0.08% African American, 1.97% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 1.30% from other races, and 2.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.77% of the population.
There were 982 households out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.9% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 91.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,917, and the median income for a family was $33,599. Males had a median income of $25,964 versus $19,356 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,655. About 13.0% of families and 18.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.4% of those under age 18 and 15.7% of those age 65 or over.
USD 447 is home to Cherryvale Elementary School (K-6) and Cherryvale Middle/High School (7-12). They compete in the Tri-Valley League and the mascot is the Charger. It was previously the Fighting Cherries.
Louise Brooks - Silent film star born as Mary Louise Brooks in Cherryvale.
Vivian Vance - She played Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy.