The main portion of the town is on the level valley land, but toward its western limits it rises by a gently sloping hillside, the crest of which is within the limits of the town, and is covered by residences. The principal business street is Santa Fe Avenue, which has on each side a number of magnificent business houses, constructed of brick and stone. Besides these are a large number of substantial frame stores. The residences of the city are generally neat and attractive in appearance, and the grounds about them are in most quarters of the town, finely ornamented with plants, shrubbery, fruit and shade trees, which gives Burlingame a truly charming appearance.
The Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railroad, extends along the eastern limits of the town, and the Manhattan, Alma, & Burlingame Railroad extends to the westward, both roads, occupying a depot in common, in the eastern part of the city.
For its trade the town depends on the farming community, and that brought in by the various coal mines that are operated in the neighborhood. All branches of business are represented and is in a prosperous condition. It has always been the aim of the citizens to keep the town from growing in advance of the requirements of the country, and so wisely has this been carried out, that there has hardly been a failure in business for many years. The population of the city is 1,509, and it is made up of an exceptionally moral and law abiding class of citizens.
In the spring of 1855, Philip C. Schuyler and Samuel Caniff located claims where Burlingame now is. At that time this land was a portion of the proposed Council City. During the first years of settlement, many town sites were surveyed within a radius of a few miles, and as soon as the Council City site was abandoned in 1856, it was proposed to survey and build up a town on the land of Schuyler and Caniff. These men, sometime during the year, brought in a large steam saw-mill, and erected it near the center of the proposed town. A great deal of business was done at the mill, and soon it began to be regarded as a business center by the settlers in the vicinity. The only store was kept by McDonald and Bothel, in the same place as when the town was known as Council City. The Council House was used as a hotel, and at times as many as seventeen men slept there.
A Congregational Church Society was organized, with Rev. Henry Morrell, as pastor. P. C. Schuyler and A. W. Hoover were elected deacons, and the minister was paid by the American Missionary Society. Religious services were held at the Council House.
In 1857, the town site was surveyed and named Burlingame. In June 1857, a schoolhouse was built by subscription. It is now used as a stable. The school was taught the next winter by a young man named Clark. During that year, Rev. William Ingersoll preached a portion of the time, relieving Mr. Morrell. On August 6, the Baptist Church was organized, and Rev. J. B. Taylor, and R. C. Bryant preached occasionally for them. The same year the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, and Rev. Holliday and G. W. Paddock supplied the pulpit.
During the year 1857, there was considerable improvement made in the town. Levi Empie erected a stone building, that now forms a part of his large block on Santa Fe Avenue, and in the fall he opened a general store. A. R. and James Bothel erected a small building on Santa Fe Avenue, and opened a store. Henry Smith erected the stone building nearly opposite the present Shepard House. Several frame buildings were erected. I. B. Titus built a toll bridge across Switzler Creek, near where the railroad bridge now is, and charged 25 cents for each wagon passing over it, and owing to the immense freighting business on the Santa Fe trail, he made the enterprise pay well. A corn grist-mill was attached to Schuyler & Caniff's saw-mill. The name of the post-office was changed to Burlingame, January, 30, 1858 (sic).
On February 1, 1858, the Burlingame Town Company was incorporated by an act of the Legislature. The Company was composed of Philip C. Schuyler, Samuel R. Caniff, George Bratton, John Drew, N. P. B. Schuyler, and James Rogers. On February 18, 1860, Burlingame was granted a charter, and incorporated as a city by an act of the Legislature. Philip C. Schuyler was elected Mayor, and pre-empted the town site for the Company. S. R. Caniff, George Bratton, E. P. Sheldon, and Joseph McDonald were elected members of the Council.
In 1859, a severe storm of wind and rain swept over the town and several buildings were blown down, but no one was seriously injured. The same year a religious revival was held at night in the woods, and twenty-six persons professed to have experienced religion. In 1860, the Old Presbyterian Church was organized. A small church was erected, which has since been sold and converted into a dwelling-house. Up to the year 1860, the town had been steadily improving, but as that was the year of the great drought, everything came to a standstill.
In the spring of 1861, Rev. J. M. Fox removed from Ridgeway, and gathered up the fragments of the Free Presbyterian Church of Burlingame and Superior, and a portion of the Congregational Society, and organized a new Congregational Society. The county-seat was located at Burlingame the same year. When the war broke out in 1861, a large number of the citizens of the town and vicinity enlisted in the Union army.
During the year 1862, the citizens built a large round fort where the town well now is, and every summer until the close of the war, a number of armed men were stationed there. This was done to prevent the burning of the town by Bill Anderson, the noted guerrilla. Previous to the war the Andersons lived in Lyon County, but Bill and his brother soon joined Quantrell's guerrilla gang. Bill had been courting a young lady living near Burlingame, on which account her parents were driven from the county by the Union men. Besides this, he had stolen a saddle from a Union soldier, and some Burlingame men had attempted to arrest him. For the above reasons he threatened to destroy the town, and the citizens were in constant fear of a sudden raid by his numerous band, and all possible precautions against a surprise was taken.
During the war the town grew but very slowly, so many of the citizens were in the army, and those at home had to guard against the invasion of the State. But as soon as the war closed the town began to improve rapidly. In 1866, a large three story flouring-mill was built near the old one. The Methodist Church was built the same year.
In the summer of 1866, Abel Polley, one of the earliest settlers, and a very old man, who had been Justice of the Peace for several years, was murdered by a man named Bates. The assassin had escaped from the Johnson county jail, and one night he applied at the farm of A. M. Jarbo for work. He was allowed to remain, but during the night Jarbo detected him stealing some valuables, and trying to get away. He captured the thief, brought him to town and turned him over to John Polley, who was Deputy Sheriff, and a son of Abel Polley. There being no jail he was shackled and left in charge of the old man. Getting hold of a gun he shot Mr. Polley, killing him instantly, and then made his escape. He was soon captured, however, tried, and hung in the court-house on February 20, 1867. This was the only legal execution in the county since its organization.
As soon as the war closed, efforts were made by the citizens to secure the building of a railroad, and as early as September, 1865, bonds were voted for two railroads, one of these being the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, but no line was built until the above-named railroad was completed to this point in the fall of 1869. During the years 1869 and 1870, Burlingame grew very rapidly, and soon became a town of some magnitude.
For the next ten years it improved slowly but steadily. In 1880, the Manhattan, Alma & Burlingame Railroad was built, and a new impetus was given to the development of the town. Besides this, the coal mines began to be opened and operated about that time, since which improvement has gone on quite rapidly. The population has not increased very fast, but the older frame buildings are giving place to large and expensive ones of brick and stone, and the city with all its various branches of trade, may be said to be in a particularly prosperous condition, with a fine prospect for its future development.
From the time Burlingame was first incorporated as a city by the Territorial legislature, in 1860, a city organization was kept up; but it was not until 1870, that it became a city of the third class, under the laws of the State. Everything in the city government has moved on quietly, with no striking events, other than the burning of the City Hall, with the previous records, in 1873. The present city officers are as follows: James Haller, Mayor; Councilmen: George Carzoll, Samuel G. Bratton, Robert Huff, James George, Samuel Shibley; Clem. Hardy, Treasurer; W. C. Chatfield, Clerk; S. H. Newman, Police Judge; Isaac Coffmon, Street Commissioners; R. F. Playford, City Attorney; School Board: F. M. Nelson, Chairman; H. W. Filley, Treasurer; George T. Brown, Clerk.
Schools, Churches, and the Press
Among the first things looked to on the foundation of the town, was the establishment of a good school. This has always been well supported by the public spirited citizens. All possible improvements have been made, and now the school has five departments, each in charge of a careful and efficient teacher. The total number of pupils in attendance is 362. The schoolhouse is a large two-story edifice, located on the crest of the hill, in the western part of the town. It was built in 1869, at a cost of $20,000. It is well furnished, and liberally supplied with the necessary apparatus.
The Baptist Church was organized August 6, 1857. The members were: John Drew, Mrs. Sarah Drew, Edward Fish, Mrs. Mary Fish, George I. Drew, Helen Tisdale, Mrs. Lydia A. Playford, Mary Playford, Elizabeth M. Drew, and Mrs. Minerva Titus. During the first year, Rev. Messrs. R. C. Bryant and J. B. Taylor preached occasionally. The church was built in the years 1869 and 1870. The first meeting in the church building was held May 12, 1870. The church was dedicated the first Sunday of August, 1870. The society now has 127 members.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1857. In 1865, Rev. H. Moys was sent east to solicit aid to build churches at Auburn and Burlingame. Of the money collected $1,300 was given to this church, on condition Rev. Moys' expenses be paid out of it. In the spring of 1866, the church was commenced, but not completed until 1868. Its cost was $6,000. It was dedicated November 29, 1868, by Rev. H. D. Fisher. The parsonage was built in the years 1871 and 1872, at a cost of $2,500. The society now has fifty members, and Rev. James H. Green is pastor.
The Presbyterian Church was organized April 10, 1860, with the following named members: J. M. Chambers and wife, William Jamison and wife, William Voorhies and wife, William A. Cozine, A. M. Hulburd, and Mrs. A. Furguson. Of the original members, only the two first named now remain. The first elders were J. M. Chambers and William Jamison. The first pastor, by supply, was Rev. F. P. Montfort. The church was built in 1862, by the Congregationalists, but in 1875 the two societies combined, and the church was deeded to the Presbyterians. The membership of the church is 110. Rev. V. M. King is pastor.
The United Brethren Church was organized at an early date but has disbanded and re-organized several times. The society now has quite a large membership. The Christian Church has an organized society, and religious services are held, although the organization has no church building. The African Methodist Episcopal Church has a large membership, and regular services are held. The African Baptist Church was organized some years ago and is prosperous. Regular services are held.
The press of Burlingame is moral and elevating in its tone, conducted with ability and is well patronized by an intelligent and appreciative reading public.
The Osage County Chronicle is the oldest paper in the county. It was established September 26, 1863, by M. M. Murdock. At the end of the first year it was suspended for several months, when Mr. Murdock again resumed its publication, and continued it until January 27, 1872, when it was bought by W. F. Chalfant, who published it until October 1, 1877. He then sold the office to J. E. Rastall, who has since had charge of it. In January G. W. Doty and L. E. Finch purchased an interest in the office, and the style of the firm changed to the Chronicle Publishing Company. The paper is a six column quarto, and is Republican in politics.
The Burlingame Herald was established September 29, 1881, by Newton McDonald and George Hoover. On June 12, 1882, Mr. McDonald purchased the entire paper, and still continues its publication. In size it is an eight column folio. It is ndependent in politics.
The Osage County Democrat is the only Democratic paper in the county, and was established November 2, 1881, by Mayberry and McCaslin who continued its publication. J. Mayberry is editor. The paper is in size an eight column folio, and is ably conducted.
Burlingame Lodge, No. 14, was instituted January 10, 1862, by P. G., N. W. Cox. It is said he was assisted by John Martin but the records do not show it. To Levi Empie, who may be said to be the father of this lodge, we are indebted for the following history of it. The charter members were John Perrill, Lewis D. Joy, John Drew, Benjamin Wyatt and Levi Empie. Besides these S. A. Fairchild was admitted by card, and Joseph McDonald, S. H. Marple, Harrison Dubois, D. B. McDougal, C. A. Linkenauger, G. W. Perrill and David Hoover, were initiated. Of the above John Drew, Levi Empie and H. Dubois are the only remaining members.
The first officers were Levi Empie, N. G.; L. D. Joy, V. G.; John Drew, R. S.; and John Perrill, Treasurer. During the first year twenty-four members were initiated, three admitted by card, and five charter members. The first D. D. G. M. for District fourteen was P. G. John Perrill; the first visitor was George Williams; the first visiting card was issued to J. J. Wright for six months; the first to withdraw by card were Brothers Lewis and Tucker; the first sickness was that of John Perrill; the first death was that of J. H. Marple. During the first year, owning to having enlisted in the Union army, the following were granted leave of absence: H. Dubois, William Y. Drew, D. B. McDougal, S. A. Fairchild, J. H. and S. H. Marple. Only the first three lived to return.
From the date of its institution until January 1, 1882, there had been 135 initiations, 40 admitted by card, 15 reinstated and 5 charter members. Of these the number withdrawn was 57, dropped 58, at rest 23. During that time the receipts had been $11,000, expenditure, $8,500, leaving $2,500 as a balance on hand. The lodge room is in the second story of the Burlingame Savings Bank building. The reception room is 12x25 feet; the ante room 10x12 feet; the dark room, 8x10 feet; and the main audience room, 25x53 feet.
The rooms are all twelve feet high, and are finely furnished and decorated. Handsome chandeliers, flags, pictures, charts, etc., ornament the rooms. The hall was completed at a cost of $2,500, and was dedicated April 26, 1882. A large number of members of the order from a distance were present, and the appropriate ceremonies were performed under leadership of Levi Empie, P. G. M., who officiated.
Osage Encampment, No. 4, I. O. O. F., was instituted August 21, 1866, by G. C. P., R. A. Randlet. The first officers were Levi Empie, C. P.; D. Hoover, H. P.; D. B. McDougal, S.; Thomas Playford, S. W.; R. Rambo, J. W.; H. Dubois, T.; C. G. Crumb and A. White, Trustees. The only other charter member was James Sloan. The order has always been in a prosperous condition and now numbers sixty members.
Corinthian Lodge, No. 79, A., F. & A. M., was instituted under dispensation, February 17, 1868. A charter was granted the next October. Of the first officers Max Buck was W. M.; and James Rogers, Secretary. The other charter members were C. M. Smith, O. H. Sheldon, R. H. Baird, John Wilbur, C. C. Crumb, and A. P Rambo. The Masonic Hall was built in 1870, at a cost of $2,000. The lodge now has about fifty members and is in a very prosperous condition.
Temple Chapter, No. 26, R. A. M., was instituted under dispensation, November 13, 1873, and received a charter, December 3, 1874. Thomas B. Haslam, was High Priest. The other charter members were Jesse Brockway, A. E. Gleason, W. L. Ramsey, F. M. Stahl, O. H. Todd, Oscar Thompson, D. H. Dauhauer, Chester Reeder, R. W. Jones, and C. S. Horton. The lodge now has seventeen members, and is in a prosperous condition financially. They occupy the A., F. & A. M. Hall, which is leased for ninety nine years.
E. P. Sheldon Post, No. 35, G. A. R. was organized in December, 1881, with fifteen members, and J. H. Burke was elected Post Commander; and Newton McDonald, Adjutant. The post continued to increase in the number of members until, by the end of the first year, it numbered 100. The post is in a very prosperous condition.
Burlingame Lodge, No. 1036, K. of H. was instituted on April 13, 187. S. D. Wright, was the first Dictator; and C. D. Waldo, Secretary. The other charter members were Elisha Ward, O. D. Lee, John Hunt, W. D. Canfield, Clinton E. Wood, Miles S. Hoover, Bradford Kellogg, Thomas Fenlon, George E. Empie, George Carroll, John E. Rastall, H. W. Filley, George T. Brown, R. H. Baird, and O. H. Nelson. The lodge now has thirty members and is in a prosperous condition.
Burlingame Lodge, No. 69, A. O. U. W., was organized January 22, 1880, with the following members: W. W. Birch, A. A. Graham, R. F. Playford, J. B. Williams, D. R. Chamberlain, H. B. Hallowell, T. A. Bedine, T. J. Hunter, L. E. Duvall, Samuel Shibley, E. W. Myers, G. W. Gowdy, J. P. Easter, L. J. Larson, J. J. Watson, C. I. Bodine, and E. F. Sheldon. The first officers were, R. F. Playford, W. M.; and Samuel Shibley, Rec. When first organized, the lodge had many difficulties to contend with, but it now has about thirty members, and is in a prosperous condition. Meetings are held regularly, at Empie's Hall.
A Lodge of the Order of Colored Masons has been organized for some time, and has a quite large membership. Meetings are held at Empie's Hall. The officers are, Crit. Raggin, W. M.; William Danforth, S. W.; Edward Robinson, J. W.; H. Clark, S. D.; James Shannon, J. D.; Philip Benning, Secretary; and Isaac Williams, Treasurer.
Burlingame Temple, No. 11, U. O. of A. T., was instituted some time since, with a quite large membership; but now does not meet. E. Wood, is Templar; and H. Dubois, F. S.
Religious and Other Organizations
The Woman's Foreign Missionary Society was organized January 6, 1881, Mrs. Henning was President; Mrs. H. W. Filley, Vice-President; Mrs. Fanny Rastall Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Emma Doty, Recording Secretary; Mrs. E. E. Horsfield, Treasurer. The society now numbers thirty members, and has done good work. Of the present officers Mrs. G. H. Green is President, and Mrs. Fanny Rastall, Recording Secretary.
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union was organized October 2?, 1878. Became auxiliary to the State Union, August 4, 1878. The first officers were Mrs. Chalfant, President; Mrs. O. D. Lee, Mrs. Ella Drew, Mrs. E. S. Fish, Mrs. T. Fenlon, Vice-Presidents; Mrs. Laura Copper, Secretary; Mrs. M. Marple, Treasurer. The membership was twelve, which has since been increased to fifty-five. The society has worked faithfully, it has distributed temperance literature, and organized a Band of Hope. They have given several entertainments. Mrs. M. T. Smith is President, and Mrs. Fanny Rastall Secretary.
The Burlingame Union Agricultural Society succeeded the old Osage County Agricultural and Horticultural Society, and has a paid up capital stock of $3,000. It was incorporated in 1877, with James Rogers, President; Max Buek, Secretary; and J. H. Burk, Treasurer. The first fair was held that year, and since, one has been held annually. The society is in a flourishing condition. H. Ward is now President; H. Dubois, Secretary, and H. C. Finch, Treasurer. The society owns ground containing thirty-three acres, and valued at $1,200. These grounds are enclosed by a board fence, and are planted to trees. Two wells have been dug, besides which a creek flows across the grounds.
Burlingame Guards- This is the name applied to Company L, First Regiment Kansas State Militia, which was enlisted on May 22, 1880. The first officers were L. E. Finch, Captain; C. P. Drew, First Lieutenant; O. H. Nelson, Second Lieutenant; and H. A. Schaffer, Orderly Sergeant. The company has forty members, is well drilled and handsomely uniformed. There have, since its organization, been some changes in its officers. L. E. Finch promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, C. P. Drew to the Captaincy of the company. H. A. Schaffer is First Lieutenant; William Hayson, Second Lieutenant; and Irving Haller, Orderly Sergeant.
Burlingame Cadets- This is a military company of boys, which was organized in August, 1881, by A. D. Allen. It then numbered about twenty members. Charles Adams was Captain, James Haller, First Lieutenant, and Jakie Hess, Second Lieutenant. The company is well uniformed and well drilled.
The Burlingame Cornet Band- This band was organized in 1872, with W. C. Chatfield as leader, which position he still retains. It started with eight members, of which five still belong to it. It now has fourteen members.
Burlingame Savings Bank- This bank was incorporated March 4, 1872. The members of the company are all residents of Burlingame and vicinity. L. E. Finch is President; H. A. Billings, Vice-President; and F. M. Nelson, Cashier. The paid up capital is $50,000.
Manufactures and Mines
O. C. Crumb & Sons Flour-Mills.- This mill began operations in 1871. The building had been erected for a woolen factory, $25,000 in city bonds having been voted to a company for the purpose, but failing to put in the machinery, it was sold to Crumb & Sons, who started the flouring-mill. The building is of stone, is 40x100 feet, and three stories high. Besides this is the engine room, 30x40 feet. It is operated by steam, contains four run of burrs, and has a grinding capacity of 250 barrels of flour per day.
Santa Fe Avenue Flouring Mills.- This mill began operations in the spring of 1881, with J. M. Chambers, proprietor. It has three run of burrs, with a capacity of about 150 barrels of flour per day.
Burlingame Pottery.- These works are owned and operated by Ricker and Morgan. The establishment is quite well furnished with machinery, and an excellent quality of tile and crockeryware is made.
The question of prospecting for coal in this vicinity was first agitated in 1869, by J. H. Burke and Charles Lyons. Nothing was done, however, until J. E. Rastall, acting with them, started a subscription paper for the purpose of raising a fund for prospecting. Enough money being raised a contract was entered into with Ira Clough, on January 8, 1880, to drill in the old Schuyler well to the depth of one hundred feet. When seventy-nine feet deep a twenty inch vein of coal was found. J. E. Rastall leased the property, and attempted to open a mine, but being unable to control the great flow of water, it had to be abandoned. Prospecting was kept up, and now several shafts are in operation. Many difficulties have been in the way for a successful development of this interest. It has been impossible to secure a sufficient number of miners, and as yet the Railroad Company has put in no side switches leading to the mines.
Burke's Coal Mine.- In March, 1880, J. H. Burke began sinking a shaft on his land, one mile east of town, and on April 19, a twenty inch vein of coal was found at a depth of 95 feet. This was the first coal shaft in the neighborhood. This mine has since been leased by J. B. Moore & Co. It has a full capacity for working thirty men, and for raising 1,100 bushels of coal per day. Town lots have been surveyed around this mine, and there are about twenty dwellings, which are occupied by the miners.
The Black Diamond Shaft.- this mine is located in the eastern part of the city, just west of the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and on the land of C. A. Linkenauger. It was opened in August, 1880, by Henry S. Wilson, James Greenan, and Thos. Greenan. The coal vein runs for twenty to twenty-four inches in thickness and is found at a depth of eighty-seven feet. The present proprietors are Henry S. Wilson, Andrew Erwin, and Samuel G. Bratton. The shaft has a capacity for raising 1,200 bushels of coal per day.
The Mutual Coal Company.- This company has one shaft, one half a mile east of the Fair Grounds. The mine is operated by Organ, Clay & Son.
Buckeye Coal Company.- The mines of this company are located in the northern part of the city. Early in 1882, a shaft was sunk to a depth of 108 feet, at a cost of $2,500, and work began at once. It has a capacity for raising 1,000 bushels per day, and as soon as fully under way it is proposed to employ thirty miners. The proprietors are Shibley, Canfield & Canfield.
The Burlingame Coal and Mining Company.- Ever after the opening of the coal mines in the vicinity Finch, Lord & Nelson took a leading part in their development. In March, 1882, a joint stock company under the above name, was formed. The officers are E. B. Purcell, President; W. H. Lord, Vice President; J. R. Mulvane, Treasurer; and L. E. Finch, Secretary and General Manager. The capital of the company is $25,000. One hundred hands are employed and about five carloads of coal, per day, are mined.
The Independent Coal and Mining Company.- Early in the year 1882, Driver & Fabro began sinking a shaft, which is now just beginning operations. A thick vein of coal is being worked, and the prospects for a large business at this shaft are very favorable.
Burlingame is located at 38°45'3N, 95°50'9W (38.750846, -95.835718). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.3 km² (0.9 mi²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,017 people, 428 households, and 267 families residing in the city. The population density was 446.2/km² (1,150.1/mi²). There were 481 housing units at an average density of 211.0/km² (543.9/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.43% White, 0.29% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.49% from other races, and 0.69% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.59% of the population.
There were 428 households out of which 26.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.6% were non-families. 34.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 22.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 87.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,845, and the median income for a family was $42,500. Males had a median income of $26,711 versus $24,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,465. About 3.8% of families and 7.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.9% of those under age 18 and 13.2% of those age 65 or over.
Earl Wilbur Sutherland, Physiologist and Nobel Prize Winner.